Jaguars And Tank Mates

pensfan84

I am thinking about trying to get some jaguars.How big do they get as a adult and what other fish can i put into the same tank.Also will they kill off any other tank members if they do get to a breeding stag.would a 40 gallon tank be suitable to try to raise and breed them in.do jaguars require a tank with plants in it or are they more suited for a tank with bigger rocks in it.any info would be very much appriciated.Thanks

I am thinking about trying to get some jaguars.How big do they get as a adult and what other fish can i put into the same tank.Also will they kill off any other tank members if they do get to a breeding stag.would a 40 gallon tank be suitable to try to raise and breed them in.do jaguars require a tank with plants in it or are they more suited for a tank with bigger rocks in it.any info would be very much appriciated.Thanks

from what i've read they kill everything eventually but i have not owned them so i don't know for sure!

They are agressive but most CA cichlids are, aslong as they have space and a territory of their own they'll be good with most other large cichlids. They get around 10" to 16"+ depending on their enviroment so I wouldn't keep them in anything less than a 125g. If they do breed most of the time they will kill the other tank mates but not always.

They are agressive but most CA cichlids are, aslong as they have space and a territory of their own they'll be good with most other large cichlids. They get around 10" to 16"+ depending on their enviroment so I wouldn't keep them in anything less than a 125g. If they do breed most of the time they will kill the other tank mates but not always.

In terms of size they should be okay in a 40 gallon when they are smaller but you would have to plan for the bigger tank. I've seen pictures of two of these guys paird off with the arrowana and various other much larger fish keeping as far away as possible and the fish were only quarter the size of the other tankmates. They more than likely would be best on their own in a very large tank and will live for quite a few years

Good luck on your choices and maybe google some more information.

L

Inherited an 10 inch Jag. Love it but it will not tolerate ANY tank mates. It is in a 150 gal and I tried to introduce a 10 inch pleco to help with the cleaning (Jags are pigs) The fool thing tried to take out the pleco so many times that he damaged his mouth (pleco was armoured and unharmed.). Had to tke the pleco out but now cycling a 250 gal and will wait and see if it works out. Have heard that larger convicts will work with the Jag but mine ate all the convicts that I introduced into the tank!!

Long ago I had a mated pair of jags in a 120G and the only fish that could live in the same tank when they laid eggs were a couple of big oscars and 4 large kenyii. The other fish learned very quickly that if they wanted to try and snag eggs they would pay dearly for the attempt. As long as they stayed away from the eggs they were left alone but getting too close meant a severe beating from the male. That male had a real set of teeth on him I'll tell you.

When the jags were not watching over eggs all the fish got along fine.