Spring Edmonton Auction

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The workshop is to train children in all aspects of the maintenance of aquaria, regardless of size and number. This should allow parents to spend more time enjoying their hobby and also free up more time to spend with their local aquariun society friends. It's too late for me, but I can see younger people benefiting.

The workshop is to train children in all aspects of the maintenance of aquaria, regardless of size and number. This should allow parents to spend more time enjoying their hobby and also free up more time to spend with their local aquariun society friends. It's too late for me, but I can see younger people benefiting.

And let me guess, you're going to be the generous soul who lets them "maintain" your tanks for the workshop.

Somebody has to make the sacrifice :hey:

I would love to maintain your tanks whilst you're out "hobnobbing" with your aquarium club friends. Hope you don't mind if I bring a bucket :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

whats the workshop for?

For this workshop our main speaker will be Gary Lange out of Saint Louis, he will be doing at least 3 talks on Sat.one on

' Basic rainbow fish keeping', breeding and raising from eggs,

'Digital fish photography', equipment and technics and what to do with them on the computer

'Third times the charm' about his third trip to Papau where they found four new species of rainbow fish.

His third talk will be the keynote for the banquet so you will need tickets for the supper to hear that one

Hope to see a lot of you there

Eugene

• 2 weeks later...

not sure if this was discussed already, but to get tickets one has to contact ACE? or is it a 'pay at the door' scenario?

I don't know for sure but since no one else has answered I'll try. I would assumed tickets can be bought at the door for the speakers but for the banquet you need to buy tickets in advance through ACE.

Is it going to be at the usual hall?? And are people from Calgary allowed to attend :boxer: ???

Yes, its at the same hall as the auctions. High park community hall

not sure if this was discussed already, but to get tickets one has to contact ACE? or is it a 'pay at the door' scenario?

There will be tickets for the dinner and the final speaker, $20/person. The talks in the afternoon will be no charge. I will double check. If you are already a member of ACE when you contact Michael to let him know how many lots you need, also let him know how many tickets for the dinner you will need.

Hi ACE members, Gary Lange here. I'm looking forward to seeing you at the workshop Saturday March 19th.

We'll be starting out with "Rainbowfish Basics" in the morning. How to keep those bows healthy and happy, how to breed them and then going through what is now a long list of rainbowfish that are actually in the hobby today.

I will be planning to bring a bunch of rainbowfish egg kits to the club which will be auctioned off RIGHT AFTER MY RAINBOWFISH TALKS. That's right, not the Sunday auction but right after the talk. If you don't attend the talk(s) you miss out on the eggs! An egg kit consists of 40-70 eggs (depending on the fishes friskiness that week) along with first fry food and detailed instructions on how to raise the fry. I can't tell you at this moment which fish eggs I will be bringing. I won't be bringing the very latest stuff as I'm still paying for the last airline ticket to Papua with those fish :rolleyes: . I will certainly be bringing some stuff that you've never seen before in the stores, I can guarantee that! No crossed wholesalers garbage with these rainbowfish! We'll just have to wait and see which fish are breeding to see what will be in the egg kits. Don't worry about knowing the names because as each kit is auctioned off I'll put up the photo on the projector so you'll know what it looks like and I'll give a brief description. With some savvy bidding perhaps you'll be able to go home with some F-1 Melanotaenia praecox eggs from our Pagai Village strain as shown below. This fish is just so much nicer than the fish you see in the pet stores these days!

Praecox_pagai_7582.jpg

What you can do to get ready is to find some new 5.5 or 10 gallon bare tanks. You'll need a separate tank for each vial of eggs that you plan or don't plan to buy :rolleyes:. When you see some of these beautiful bows you may find yourself running out of tank space, like me! Rainbowfish can be very difficult to tell apart at a young age so you need to keep the species apart. Some species grow faster than others and may end up eating the other so make sure you keep them in separate tanks. Get it set up so that it will be at about 80-82 degrees F and get a sponge filter going in it. You just need to set this up a day or so before the workshop, we want to incubate the eggs in relatively clean water. Dirty old mulm water usually ends up causing the eggs to fungus. You'll definitely need a heater as you won't get a very good hatch rate at cooler temperatures. You'll also need a small tray for each species that you buy to hatch out the eggs. A 6x6 sandwich type tray works fine. You'll be changing the water in that tray every day for about 5-9 days while the fry hatch out. It's not very hard and hobbyists all over the country have been very successful in hatching and raising my eggs. It's a pretty neat way to get some very nice rainbowfish that you really can't buy at the stores. So often, rainbowfish that you do happen to see at the stores, really don't look like they are supposed to anymore.

***Also keep an eye out for my rainbowfish list on the Livestock Classifieds. IF you are interested in purchasing fish you need to email me ahead of time so that I can bring the fish with me. Many of the fish offered will be different than the egg kits. It should be posted within the next few days. Some of the fish are limited so if it's something you want don't wait!

I'll also be doing a mid afternoon talk on digital fish photography, everything you wanted to know about shooting your fishes but were afraid to ask! We'll briefly go over what type of cameras are good for taking fish pictures and what equipment does the best job. We'll also talk a little bit about what to do with your images after you take them. How to set them up for printing, or sending on the web or posting to a forum. I'll also bring a few pages of notes for everyone in attendance so you don't have to write everything down.

Neolamprologus_helianthus_2658.jpg

And finally in the evening, after the banquet I'll be talking about my latest trip with, "The Third Time is the Charm". The trip in 2010 was my third trip to Papua to see rainbowfish in their native habitat. We endured the heat, humidity, land leeches and rockslides to find four brand new species of rainbowfish.

one_2827.jpg

See you soon!

Gary