Spring Edmonton Auction

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There also will be a talk on "wild bettas". This presentation was compiled by the International Betta Congress about their species maintenance program. So once you get those tanks ready for rainbows, you might change your mind and get some wild bettas instead. They are quite different to keep as opposed to betta splendens and most can be kept in unheated species tanks. Most of these fish are rarely ever seen in Canada and some of them, IMHO, very beautiful. And to attract more of you, there will be FREE stuff and "heckling" allowed.... Gary, you may be good but I am "betta"....

Or you can take pictures of him talking? :hey:

nyuk nyuk nyuk. wise guy eh? -roll-

FCG: Would be nice to see a bunch of sweet wild caught bettas in the auction too, if that can be arranged. preferably ones that don't launch themselves out of the tank in the dark of night like every one I have bought so far....

Fantastic Gary. Will this be a 'hands on' type of workshop on photography? Should I bring my digital camera, or is it more of a you talk we listen type thing?

Kind of hard to do a "hands on" workshop unless you have something to shoot. Even if you had a show going on "bare tanks" are really not the way to show the best way to capture a fish image. I'll be bringing my equipment so you can get a feel for what it looks like. Hopefully my host will REMEMBER to clean his tanks and glass hint hint :rolleyes: so that I can some pictures while I'm out and about.

Gary, I had heard from Rick that you sell vials of eggs when you come down, and that we could possibly pre order if there are specific ones that we would like to have?Is this possible or is it auction only as said in the post above?

Edited by Jayba

I have spawned 4 different types of Rainbows my favorite was the boesmani rainbow fish... Loved those fish /

Looking at your pictures gives me the itch to purchase another bunch of Rainbows... on another note for those that have never seen a school of mature Rainbows if you ever go to Reddeer there is a LFS in the SW end of town that use to and I am assuming still has a large tank of mature Rainbows as does BA here in Edmonton....

Gary, I had heard from Rick that you sell vials of eggs when you come down, and that we could possibly pre order if there are specific ones that we would like to have?Is this possible or is it auction only as said in the post above?

I only post the eggs in an auction AFTER my talk(s), not at the Sunday auction. I don't really take preorders for eggs as that could limit the amount of kits that I could bring for the talks. This is designed specifically so that your members will go to the talks. Clubs spend a lot of money to fly in a speaker but so many members ONLY show up on Sunday, auction day. And a lot of times they are the ones that needed to be there on Saturday to hear the speaker and learn about the fishes B) . I will list some fish shortly, just have to do some netting and counting in the juvenile tanks to see exactly what I have available.

Fish eggs that "might" be on the egg list. I can't tell who is "happy" and going to produce eggs at any given time. The week before the talk though I'll change a lot of water and feed heavily. Fish that often produce include: M. affinis pagwi, M. kamaka, M. synergos, M. parkinsoni - European yellow, M. nigrans, M. duboulayi Kangaroo Cr, M. utchiensis, possibly M. trifasciata Wonga Ck. M. praecox F-1 Pagai 2008, M. pygmaea, Glos, maculosus, Glos. dorityi F-1 Lake Nenggwambu (Kali Biru), C. fasciata - Faowi Village 2005, M species Suswa Village, M. angfa, C. campsi, C. bleheri, M. boesemani - Lake Aytinjo, M. boesemani - Lacorte strain, M. splendida Deepwater creek. Somewhat less reliable are fish like M. species Morehead river, M. species Kiunga, M. sexlineata Tabubil, and M. trifasciata Running Creek. And then there are the Pseudomugil. I'll have to start picking those eggs almost a week before the trip as they don't lay near as many as the big fish. In that group it could be possible to find P. ivantsoffi or M. gertrudae Aru II's which are really outstanding fish. Hopefully out of this group of fish I'll be able to come up with 10-14 vials of eggs. Most of this stuff you really can't get the right stuff in the stores. It doesn't ship wild out of Oz or New Guinea and so much of the stuff from Florida is either badly bred or a cross. I won't even mention the junk coming in from Asia -01- . If you can raise baby brine shrimp and follow directions then you should be able to get yourself a nice little school of rainbowfish from everyone of these egg kits to enjoy for years to come.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I could tell when the talks will be, I was hoping that they would be up on the website by now. I guess get in touch with some of the BOD people they probably know. I do know that if you want the rainbowfish egg kits you have to be at the rainbowfish talks to get them. They won't be at the Sunday auction.

If you are also looking for hatched and growing rainbowfish I have listed what I have for sale on the for sale portion of this forum.

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=32397

If you are interested in any of those rainbowfish I would get to it right away. Also note the second post of non-rainbowfish, it wouldn't all fit on one post, sorry kind of like photo spam :blush:.

http://albertaaquati...showtopic=32398

Maybe betta girl might want to take a look. Not a betta but close. Betta i have more pictures of "real" bettas spawning than she does :thumbs: .

If I'm only really interested in the photography talk, what time should I "shoot" to be there for? (hehe)

Boom :boom:

I got what I think is going to be the schedule so it gives you an idea for planning. You'll have to check with ACE for the registration process. CAS members that were thinking about making the trip to Edmonton, come on down! Although I will be giving the same "Basic Rainbowfish talk" at both places the collecting talks are very different and I won't be doing the photo talk at CAS. The talk that I am giving after the banquet is only about our latest adventure, which was quite productive. We brought back 4 new undescribed species of rainbowfish as well as several color varieties/locations for other rainbowfish that have already been in the hobby.

12:00 Ann Marie, on wild bettas

1:30PM Gary, Rainbowfish basics

3:00PM Gary, Digital Fish Photography

6:00PM Cocktail

7:00 Dinner, Gary, The Third Time's the Charm

So again the eggs will be offered after the Rainbowfish basics talk and the Collecting talk at the end of the day. I think we are not going to let anyone into the talk during the last ten minutes. The egg auction will only be for those who suffered thru to the bitter end :rolleyes: . Sort of like a reward for their pain and suffering.

In the photography talk I will go over what equipment I think you should buy if you want to take decent pictures. When I was giving a similar talk at the ACA convention in Atlanta I realized a lot of audience members were writing feverishly trying to write down every detail. After that talk I now supply a 4 page cheat sheet. That way you aren't scrambling to write down what F-stop or shutter speed is the best one to use. Bring a pen anyway (that's your Darwin test) as you may want to add a few more notes or to capture an ahha moment that will vastly advance your ability to photograph your fishes.

It will be a long day but you can get your fish ready for the Sunday auction on Friday nite and Saturday morning by either putting them in easy catch tanks or already bagging up the small ones. Believe me, fish can stay in the bags quite nicely for several days, otherwise we would never be able to get rainbowfish and other exotic fish home from these faraway locations. Big water changes and no food for 24 hours will ensure happy auction fishes :rolleyes: . Looking forward to seeing you all.

OOP's forgot to add - Rainbowfish Egg Kits are a 100% donation to the club. So all of the money you bid on them will go back to the club.

Edited by rainbowfish

I got what I think is going to be the schedule so it gives you an idea for planning. You'll have to check with ACE for the registration process. CAS members that were thinking about making the trip to Edmonton, come on down! Although I will be giving the same "Basic Rainbowfish talk" at both places the collecting talks are very different and I won't be doing the photo talk at CAS. The talk that I am giving after the banquet is only about our latest adventure, which was quite productive. We brought back 4 new undescribed species of rainbowfish as well as several color varieties/locations for other rainbowfish that have already been in the hobby.

12:00 Ann Marie, on wild bettas

1:30PM Gary, Rainbowfish basics

3:00PM Gary, Digital Fish Photography

6:00PM Cocktail

7:00 Dinner, Gary, The Third Time's the Charm

So again the eggs will be offered after the Rainbowfish basics talk and the Collecting talk at the end of the day. I think we are not going to let anyone into the talk during the last ten minutes. The egg auction will only be for those who suffered thru to the bitter end :rolleyes: . Sort of like a reward for their pain and suffering.

In the photography talk I will go over what equipment I think you should buy if you want to take decent pictures. When I was giving a similar talk at the ACA convention in Atlanta I realized a lot of audience members were writing feverishly trying to write down every detail. After that talk I now supply a 4 page cheat sheet. That way you aren't scrambling to write down what F-stop or shutter speed is the best one to use. Bring a pen anyway (that's your Darwin test) as you may want to add a few more notes or to capture an ahha moment that will vastly advance your ability to photograph your fishes.

It will be a long day but you can get your fish ready for the Sunday auction on Friday nite and Saturday morning by either putting them in easy catch tanks or already bagging up the small ones. Believe me, fish can stay in the bags quite nicely for several days, otherwise we would never be able to get rainbowfish and other exotic fish home from these faraway locations. Big water changes and no food for 24 hours will ensure happy auction fishes :rolleyes: . Looking forward to seeing you all.

Remember that if you wish to hear Gary's talk on his trip you have to book supper tickets with Michael Pham at mituan@hotmail.com anyone can book these [you dont have to be a club member] all the other talks are free.