What Fert Brand Do You Use?

Mika

I been trying to do planted tanks forever, for some reason I have extremely bad luck with plants. Everything from the plant just dying to horrible ich break outs from them. I have a 10 gallon cycled, heated to 76F with just 3 male platies. Its pretty understocked and I recently took some plants from a friend's tank in hopes of propagating them. I don't think my fish will produce nitrate for the plants and I have low light, so I was thinking about using some fertilizers. But there are a lot of brands, some brand suggested by people on other forums only sell in States. So I was wandering if you guys know any good brands that sell in Canada, or better yet Alberta that is not overpriced? My plants are Guppy grass, hornwort, java fern and baby tears.

With low light, I don't think any of those plants will really need fertilizer. I'd start with Seachem Excel, and just keep your fish fed well. :)

Dry fertilizers are by far the cheapest way to go! But like jvision said I wouldn't recommend using much ferts. You have very low light and no CO2. If anything I would buy a comprehensive fertilizer like Seachem Flourish or API's Leaf Zone.

i would say a liquid fert like seachem's flourish comprehensive would be a good choice for a smaller tank that doesn't require a lot of fertilization. once you go with the bigger tanks and lots of plants then you want to get into the dry ferts because it saves money that way.

i've used API's leafzone before but wasn't completely happy with the results - didn't see much more growth than with no ferts. switched over to flourish comprehensive and my plants are responding better. now i just have to learn to stop rescaping my tank every two months..... it makes my plants mad at me. lol.

Ferts are just part of a planted tank and I think there might be some other factors you could change to get you on the way to planty success. Let us know what kind of canopy and bulbs you're using as a simple change can make a world of difference. Also tell us more about your substrate. Though most of plants you have now aren't rooted, it sounds like you haven't had much success in the past and addition of some florite or root tabs may help. As for ferts, I like Seachem myself and probably would blow something up if I tried to use dry ferts!! My dad is on order to buy any box of aquarium stuff at garage sales that's one dollar and that's how I get lots of my ferts.....

Thank you so much for the replies!

I have Fluorescent Bulb that is rated 24W, I just use normal black gravel as my substrate. I have the horn wort tied down to a piece of driftwood, The Java fern is planted into the gravel and is doing okay. The only thing driving me bonkers is the Guppy Grass, parts of it is getting swept by the filter and clogging up the intake. -_-

Do you guys think I should increase my fish? I thought about getting 6 Glofish, would that be over stocking in addition to 3 platies?

Darn! Just when I was about to look for some online, they seem pretty neat.

I been thinking of doing some different with the tank, I had platies for a long time so I stopped breeding/getting them and is just waiting for the last 3 to either find new homes or finish up their lifespan.

I think I'll look into Lemon Tetras, they are pretty neat too.

I'd suggest trying some anubias and crypts and attaching the java fern to some wood, rock etc as it's not a true rooted plant. As for the amount of fish, we'd have to know more about your filter and water change schedule. Also how old are your bulbs and what kind of spectrum?? If you want economical lighting, find a used incandescent canopy(cheap at garage sales,etc) and put in CFLs.

• 2 months later...

For ferts, Ive always only used Flourish Excel. Make sure that you dose it appropriately for the tank and you replenish it after your weekly water changes. Ive only ever had issues with low maintenance plant life when I either had not enough nutrients in the water or way too much. This system of fertilizing once a week has been working for my for a few years now. Im not an expert by any stretch but Ive had good luck since doing it this way.

Also, your platys will be very happy with you for providing them with more buddies. I had the same number in a 5 gallon, I added 3 more to the tank and the fish acted a lot more relaxed. They will also be quite happy to have some plant life to meander around.

In regards to your light. I assume that you just have a standard hood and incandescent bulb in there. If you go to your lps, they should have florescent bulbs that are suited for plant growth. I bought one of these for my tank and noticed a world of difference. Not only did my plants grow and look better, the rest of the tank just plain looked nice by comparison. Just a thought, because its cheap, might cost you 10 dollars at Petsmart or something.

One last thought would be the current in your tank. If there is more current in your tank (which your platys will adapt to) your plants will develop stronger stem structures and a more extensive root system.

Hope some of this has helped.

James

Pull your Java Fern out of the gravel cause that will kill it. Attach it to a rock, driftwood, etc. with cotton thread and the thread will rot away while the roots attach. If you have a screw in bulb fixture, put in a couple compact fluorescent, the spiral type. Two 13 watts should be more than enough. Try to find something between 6400k - 10 000k. If it is a fluorescent tube, try to find a plant grow type bulb.

Flourite is inert like most gravel. It may help with iron a bit but it tends to get better with age as debris gathers in it. I like it, and use it in all my tanks, but it's doesn't do much.

I've used Seachem products but now use dry ferts. Excel is a carbon supplement. It works well but don't overdose it. I would use the same dosage and not add extra on water change day. People tend to melt plants doing that. Flourish can be nice but you'd only need a few drops a few times a week.

Do lots of reading and you can quickly see why everyone (including myself) killed plants before they did some research!

Try out:

the stickies at the top of this forum

plantedtank.net

aquariumplantcentral.com

""" I've used Seachem products but now use dry ferts. Excel is a carbon supplement. It works well but don't overdose it. I would use the same dosage and not add extra on water change day. People tend to melt plants doing that. Flourish can be nice but you'd only need a few drops a few times a week."""

Not add extra on water change day ? ! You indeed need to replenish when you change water . I double dose and have had no plants melt . now I know there are some plants out there that are sensitive to excel but it's only a few . Double doseing keeps the algea at bay " IMO "

Blake

Edited by The-Influence