First Time Salty

Leon71

I know I haven't been on here a lot lately. All the Africans are doing well, and I was too busy developing the basement. Now that it is almost finished, I have decided to give saltwater a try. I bought a 120 Perfecto with a corner overflow. I will be custom building the stand and canopy. I also purchased the 4 lamp T5HO from AquaticLife. I hope to find a good tank for the sump. Something with a 36"x18" footprint.

Now I need suggestions on:

-Skimmer brand and size

-Return pump brand and size

-All Live rock vs. some live and some base rock

-Sump layout. I have some idease from the net, but it's cool to see other ideas.

That's all for know. Future questions on stocking and compatibility to follow.

Thanks,

Leon

plenty of people selling live rock for 4$ a pound or less just have to keep looking as far as skimmers goes i had a cheap one that seemed to work better then the expensive one i bought as an upgrade may have to go back to it but used up that space in the sump so its still for sale if you need worked on a heavy bio load on a 135 and they guy i bought it from had it on a even bigger tank and worked for him

Definitely looking at EcoLiveRock as well. What a great idea. It looks like they have a distibutor in B.C.

There is a distributor on Canreef / its not live rock however it is the same rock ... you just have to seed it with 15-20% live rock / it is clean and very porus and because it is shipped dry you get a lot more then if you would of purchased wet rock that weighs a way more.... almost double

Thanks for the info Jerry. I will have to check out Canreef for more details.

I have looked at the SWC 160 skimmer at BigAls. The reviews look good and a lot of "bang for the buck" factor. Anyone on here using these?