Question About Cichlids

Jasmine07

Hi there,

Is it a big no-no to have american and african cichlids together in a tank?

I have a jewel cichlid, and a venustus cichlid in with convicts, oscars, jack dempseys, and a blood parrot. And they all get along fine.

But I'm wondering, is this something that is frowned upon? or if their all getting along is it okay?

Hi there,

Is it a big no-no to have american and african cichlids together in a tank?

I have a jewel cichlid, and a venustus cichlid in with convicts, oscars, jack dempseys, and a blood parrot. And they all get along fine.

But I'm wondering, is this something that is frowned upon? or if their all getting along is it okay?

They may get along fine now, how old are they? What size? Like people fish tend to have different attitudes from individual to individual

If they can all eat the same kind of food it might be okay.

If they like the same water temperature it might be okay.

If the tank is big enough it might be okay.

I find that the biggest issue is the fourth one:can they all get along?

If they can all eat the same kind of food it might be okay.

If they like the same water temperature it might be okay.

If the tank is big enough it might be okay.

I find that the biggest issue is the fourth one:can they all get along?

Quoted for truth!

'hodgepodge' tanks can be done, and i did one myself with an oscar, angel, african, and madagascar cichlid. they were all mature/full size and were getting along fine, but i felt they were a little crowded so sold the angel and african not too long ago. all four fish had grown up together and i fed the tank well.

as mentioned, make sure the fish have the same nutritional requirements and temperature needs. make sure the tank is big enough to support the adult size of all the fish, and there are places that each fish could retreat to if there is any aggression.

Thanks for all the replies!

I have a 100gal tank, right now most of the fish are no bigger than 4-5" with one jack dempsey being close to 7" I feed them freeze dried brine shrimp along with flakes and pellets, and they all seem to be healthy with nice bright colors.

My convicts have had babies - what a big suprise lol. And even with them defending their babies the tank is pretty peaceful. I am prepared to make changes if any of their attitudes change towards one another. I keep the water at 26C and so far so good.

there are also a lot of hiding places.

The tank was an early chrismas gift and it came with 15 convicts. I am only planning on keeping 4 of them, but i like them and i'm having a hard timegetting rid of them. but i do need to get rid of them before all the fish grow to adult size or their won't be enough room.

there are also a lot of hiding places.

The tank was an early chrismas gift and it came with 15 convicts. I am only planning on keeping 4 of them, but i like them and i'm having a hard timegetting rid of them. but i do need to get rid of them before all the fish grow to adult size or their won't be enough room.

thats the problem with convicts, your always trying to get rid of them, if you only keep 4, try to make sure they are all males, that way you won't get more convicts lol

Jasmine, i'll take a few of the smaller fry if you don't want to keep them all. my oscar would love some more live food :)

The other fish in the tank eat the fry before the get very big, so i'm not really looking to get rid of the fry. I am however looking to get rid of the convicts that are about 3"-6". I have the normal dark striped colored ones, and pink color ones. Any takers?