varnishingorsealing wood wood?

vantgE

I really don't know exactly what I'm thinking of but I've heard of it...

Basically I want to seal in the tanins so they don't discolor the watter or mess with the ph, what specifically do I use for this? and how is it applied?

Edited by vantgE

Some people have used Varathane - a water based sealant with some success. You have to completely dry out the wood (could take several weeks) before completely sealing it. I'm not sure if this would be harmful to plecos though as they like to rasp on driftwood for roughage.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a thought-could you use fiberglass resin? If I am not mistaken, alot of the plywood tanks have this in them, and I am guessing that it is safe?

Better mix in small amounts, and then brush it on quickly though.

There is another thing that you could try. I have used a slower hardening epoxy (about the consistancy of honey) and it can be thinned down w/ the proper thinner. Makes the product way easier to brush on, and it is definately weather resistant. (used this to restore 100 yr. old rotting windows on heritage buildings in Calgary in the past)

Costs a few bucks though-but let me know if you would like to try this, I will be buying some in the near future for a project of my own, and can sell you what you need cheap, I won't need all of it.

thanks, but I'm not going to do it, I was just sure I read it in an aquarium book frorm the libary last year and thought it would be a great idea for my next tank, seems I've gotten something wrong- and I was just thinking something cheap simple, but thanks again

Hey Rob,

You could mount it to a sheet of plexi or thin slate and rest it on your tank bottom. The weight of your substrate and water would then hold it in place.

Just a suggestion! ;)

Doc B)