I Got Sucked Back Into...

Wingin' It

After my last encounter with Freshwater shrimp I thought i'd never do it again...and then people started posting sweet pics of their shirmp...and then an opportunity after opportunity presented itself to buy shrimp at decent prices and I took it as a sign...lol

So here's a pic taken with my Samsung Galaxy S Facinate camera phone.

2011-02-21084824.jpg

I bought shrimp from two different sources...one was not quite so red, but the other is fairly red! Looks great on the green moss balls IMO

Edited by Wingin' It

Balls, my friend, balls,......... marimo balls to be exact!! :smokey:

Don't all guys know what these are?? LOL

what's that fuzzy thing he's on? All the fuzzy things my tanks get aren't on purpose LOL!

LOL...I hear ya! Some days I have the same problem...lol

Cate, sorry for the hijacking the post, but Ken (Nautalis) started it.....but where can I get some balls? My wife said I should get some!?

If you come down to Calgary, you can find smaller ones at Riverfront (I just picked up another 6 at the 50% off sale) or Tanks Alot. If you want really big balls go to Pisces, they have ones that are 5 or 6" in diameter.

Ron

I'm not sure what is best for them, but I just leave them alone...I wake up every morning to find that they've moved, sometimes just very slightly, but someone is moving them, or it could be just them catching some O2 and riding the "current". For lighting I just use one of those Compact twisty lights from Walmart...nothing special.

if your tank doesn't have a lot of flow in it, you do need to turn your balls once in a while and give them a gentle squeeze. yep, that's right, squeeze your balls people! lol. i personally give mine a hearty squish during a water change to extract all the built up mulm in and on them. they will float for a bit after a good squeeze but will sink back down after a day or so. turning them occasionally means they don't get brown on the underside where they don't get light.

i have one in a 2.5 gallon with a 13 watt spiral cfl, and three in a 55 with only 40 watts of t8 lighting. the ball in the 2.5 gal is kinda smushed into a corner of the tank so it doesn't move around with flow at all, but it is directly under the filter output so it gets 'washed' constantly, and shrimp pick at it all the time too. the three balls in the 55 tend to move around a bit in the filter flow, and just have ramshorn snails climbing on them now and then. the ball in the 2.5 is brighter green and the three in the 55 are darker, kinda like spinach green, so lighting definitely plays a part although they are considered low light.