Lf: How To Drop High Levels Of Amonia

reynes

Tested for Amonia in my newly planted co2 55 gal tank and the levels are through the roof???!!!!

SUGGESTIONS................?

I heard it may be caused from the SHULTZ substrat that is in the tank, not sure if that ia why or not, but

bteween the dead fish, high amonia, and lower acidic pH, does anyone have helpful hints to rectify

this problem. I did buy a Amonia reducer chemical from Big Als, but are there any other things I should do?

Since the problem is in the tank substrate, remove the fish (with the tank water) to another container. Then do water changes, water changes, and more water changes- but go SLOWLY. Large changes will result in rapid shifts in pH, etc., and can just stress the fish even more. Putting the plants in with the fish will help reduce the ammonia too.

I'd skip the chemicals, they can just cause more swings and make everything worse. Then it looks like you have to get rid all that soil :(

So are you saying that when everything is all said and done, the best would be to completely remove this substrat ???? If so, what kind would be the best, or

am I going to have this problem with other substrats? Boy-o-boy this whole planted thing is not as easy as it looks :boom:

I want to do whats going to be THE BEST solution!!! not the most affordable or easiest, but the most effective, bottom line is ...........................?

Yes, I would replace with a different substrate. If you want a plant substrate I would look into eco complete or different types of flourite. Those are probably your 2 best bets for easily available plant substrates with no ammonia.

If you want to keep the substrate then just remove and boil the soil. Adding prime or throwing some stem plants in tank will also remove ammonia but until the cycle is done the ammonia will continue to leach. Its easier to remove and boil IMO. Then no more worries.

So are you saying that when everything is all said and done, the best would be to completely remove this substrat ???? If so, what kind would be the best, or

am I going to have this problem with other substrats? Boy-o-boy this whole planted thing is not as easy as it looks :boom:

I want to do whats going to be THE BEST solution!!! not the most affordable or easiest, but the most effective, bottom line is ...........................?

Don't get discouraged, low tech set ups aren't that difficult. Not familiar with the substrate you are using but if it leeches ammonia like ADA Amazonia you better set up another tank (or bucket) for your fish. I'm no expert but I had to set up a planted tank quick a little while ago for some fish and all I did was use Fluval Shrimp Stratum, mulm, 50% water from a cycled tank, 25% dechlorinated water, 25% RO/DI water and some MTS. After the water cleared with the filter running, in about 1.5 days, I added 5 tubs of plants that were labelled "easy", a heater and the fish. I might have also added some Stability when I added the fish. So far so good and since the fish being added I've added some shrimp.

Good luck.

I missed the part about the black dirt. I found using sand and letting fish waste create it's own soil works pretty good. In the beginning I used black dirt by circle h farms. However it's anything but black dirt. I had it described to me as wood chips from a pig farm that hasn't finished decomposing. My tank was full of antifungals(cedar) and turpentine(pine). Also it smelled like a cat urinated in my house. After a year of dealing with problems I stripped it out. Also I had my dirt about an inch or 2 thick which lead to an abundance of beneficial bacteria that starved many fish for oxygen.

Now I have also had many potted plants with soil in my tanks and have had no further ammonia/oxygen problems.

I also understand that Natures Corner Store carries some aquatic soil.