Sand Easy To Maintain ?

i was thinking of buying sand for my 135gal tank (freshwater) BUT id like to know if its easy to maintain, clean ect (never had it)

how often does it need to be cleaned and can any fish tolerate it ?

any other info you think i might need to know would be great.

i was thinking of buying sand for my 135gal tank (freshwater) BUT id like to know if its easy to maintain, clean ect (never had it)

how often does it need to be cleaned and can any fish tolerate it ?

any other info you think i might need to know would be great.

Play sand works well or SIL Industries on 17 street and hwy 16 has I believe # 9 sand that works great

Needs weekly vacuuming like everything else but the poop tends to stay on top so that makes it easy You will need 160 lbs. Will not affect PH and is used by many.

J

just remember that sand needs rinsed really well before you add it to a tank, to get rid of all the silt and dust that comes in it.

another tip is to stir your sand every so often, or else it could get pockets of gas in it. if your sand turns black then you need to stir it more often. a chopstick works well, but i just use my plant trimming scissors (closed of course!) and do a lil sand digging when i'm in there cleaning up dead leaves and such.

If you get the Sil Industries sand mentioned you really don't have to rinse it. I find that if you have enough flow in the tank that the sand will stay clean all the time. I just have a bubble curtain along the back wall. The fish love digging in it. I personally in the setup with the bubble curtain haven't had to clean the sand just stirr it every once in a while but the cichlids do a great job of digging and airating the sand

Good luck

L