Assassin Snail Is A Killer!

BigWater

Well my wife just witnessed our assassin snail kill one of our cherry shrimp. Well I guess here is a warning to ours that may consider using them in a shrimp tank. THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU!

KInda bummed out because we lost another one a month or som ago, but just thought it died. Hmmm makes us wonder if that was the first victim.:(

same. I have assasin snails in a tank with shrimp, CPO, nuisance snails (ramshorn and those other annoying pond snails) and Asolene spixi. I am regularily 'squashing' pond snails as the assasins don't do a very good job of killing them off. (Although, possibly my assasin snails from Vince had taken a vow of non violence). And thye certainly don't bother the shrimp. Maybe the shrimp was dead and the assasin snail was investigating the corpse?

same. I have assasin snails in a tank with shrimp, CPO, nuisance snails (ramshorn and those other annoying pond snails) and Asolene spixi. I am regularily 'squashing' pond snails as the assasins don't do a very good job of killing them off. (Although, possibly my assasin snails from Vince had taken a vow of non violence). And thye certainly don't bother the shrimp. Maybe the shrimp was dead and the assasin snail was investigating the corpse?

Your assasins dont' hurt your other snails like the spixi? I was wondering if they would attack larger snails like zebra snails or apple snails etc. if put together. Mine had no problem eating all the little pond snails in their tank but none were bigger then the assassins.

My assassins have also taken a "vow of non-violence" against nerites, apples and even the sputniks of the snail world: horned nerites. But the minute I drop a ramshorn in the tank, they come a' racing(if snails could race). Then it's like a scene from "Dawn of the Dead"....

I witnessed our assassin snail killing a seemingly healthy cherry shrimp. (I monitor the shrimp for a couple of hours each day and they were all acting and eating normally)

I did not see the initial "attack" but the cherry shrimp was twitching and shaking and it was being devoured by the snail. I plucked the snail off of it but it was already too late. RIP cherry shrimp:(

Thought that the shrimp would have been too quick for a snail so I am of coarse shocked and sad to see what happened. I also thought with all the different snails we have that he would have more than enough easy prey.

I put the assassin snail in our 140g where it won't be able to harm anything small. What I really felt like doing was gutting the stupid thing and feeding it to my amano's...but luckily for it, my love for living things returned before I could do it, lol.

For the record, all tank parameters are great and our amano's and cherries are breeding....no previous reported deaths at all.

Anyway, I know there is a debate over this but I'm just saying what I saw. Maybe the shrimp was sleeping when it happened? Poor thing...

perhaps nature just having a spontanious moment, she tends to do that on occasion. its a shame about the loss, but atleast you got a story to tell (plus your remaining shrimp might take note to stay clean of snails).

Hopefully the assassin does well in his new home... sounds like if he wants something now its going to take alot more effort.

Your assasins dont' hurt your other snails like the spixi? I was wondering if they would attack larger snails like zebra snails or apple snails etc. if put together. Mine had no problem eating all the little pond snails in their tank but none were bigger then the assassins.

nope. AND I have baby spixis in the tank growing up. Vince thinks that the assasins can only take down babies. I finally have the population somewhat under control, but I don't think the assasins do much. I've seen cherry shrimp riding around on them and spixi cleaning their shells. Very embarrassing for them I would imagine...

For the record, all tank parameters are great and our amano's and cherries are breeding....no previous reported deaths at all.

you're breeding amanos? In fresh water? :boxed:

Cherries are producing babies. Amano's are laying eggs....not bothering with harvesting the eggs and doing the saline hatching.