Vinegar In Tank

Ishkabod

I accidently got about 4ml of vinegar in my Fluval Edge aquarium :poo: and I don't know what to do :cry: . I've started a water change but i'm worried about the fish shrimp, snails and plants not to mention my new L046 plecco :unsure: . If anyone has any experience with this i'd appreciate imput because i have no idea what to do and what to expect. Should i do a number of water changes and risk stressing the fish or just one or two or leave it as is.

Thanks

L

Vinegar has a PH of 2.4 or so. The only thing that vinegar would do is create an acid burn. I would expect that if you do a PH test in your tank, if you notice anything at all, that you may notice a slightly lower PH reading. Tho I doubt it. My guess is that if you do a water change on your tank that you will see no change in the quality of your tank life. I have a friend that does tank maintenance for a living and he uses vinegar to clean the outside of the tanks all the time. No harm to report this far and its been 5 years running.

Thanks soo much it's quite the releif. I have something here that'll help buffer ph so i'll try adding a smidge of that if i find my ph is still too low after the WC. I use vinegar for all my fish cleaning and that is how it got in the tank in the first place.

Thanks again

L

Vinegar QUICKLY reacts with water and is quite a weak acid. If you're just using tap water, it is buffered enough not to be affected. Even if you're using an acid buffer, it should hold the pH where it's supposed to be. Nothing to worry about.

Here's a thought; add in some tartar sauce, ketchup and you're all set for fish and chips :drool: :drool:

LMAO but seriously, been there, done that and the tank will be ok with the vinegar. If in doublt do another water change and it will be so diluted that it would not matter.

It's a thought but honestly i don't really like fish so i think i'll stick to the chips. Thanks for all the info. the fish are completely fine. I was really worried for a bit there. I had 2 fish in a temporary tank once with the filters from the main tank on it. They were only in there for an hour tops and both started to go belly up. I managed to rescue one but the other was too far gone. The only thing i could trace back as the cause of the death is the vinegar i used to clean the tank before i put the fish in it. I tested the water and everything was perfectly fine with nitrates just at a level i'd change the water at (24ppm) I guess i can rule that out too. Now it's a complete mystry that'll never be solved.

Thanks everyone for all the information and help.

I really appreciate it and the humor too. :thumbs:

L