Shrimp & Algae

Caprichoso

I never knew how well dwarf shrimp ate algae! Ok, so when you go to the LFS they always advertise Amano as algae eating shrimp. I have to say that I've seen my cherry red's, green's and CRS do a much better job at eating algae than my amano's. I had some grasses in my community tank that were doing poorly. They were covered in this crazy hair algae that I couldn't pull off and the plant was having difficulty growing. I have amano in that tank and they never touched it. I put a piece of it in each of my dwarf shrimp tanks and they ATTACKED it with such a fury and had all the algae stripped off it in 3 hours! I also recently got an anubias that had a very stubborn brush algae on it. Like, there was no way I had a hope in heck of scratching it off without damaging the plant and I refuse to do bleach dips. I put it in my green shrimps tank and they stripped all the brush algae off! I am amazed! I plan on putting any algae ridden plants in my shrimp tanks from now on for a quick clean up:)

Funny, my Cherry and Greens have never been good algae crew for me - guess they've figured out that it's only a day or so to hold out for some NLS. :)

So far, they devour hair algae and brush algae but I still see that thin film algae on the glass. Must just be certain types they like....cause I don't think I have special shrimp. I can only tell you what I experienced first hand. I'll have to do some before and after pics next time.

I treat my shrimps like Kings and Queens - they have a feeding schedual and can practically eat the same food every 2 weeks shock.gif So they NEVER bother to touch anything else, they're just there for decoration lol.