Xp3 Issue

Vallisneria

I've been having a problem with my XP3 for the past few weeks. It was working fine before I cleaned it a few weeks ago. When I put it back together it was making a trickling water noise and I noticed there was a air gap in the filter body, about 1-2" from the top(where the first basket starts). I took it apart again to make sure everything was put back right and it was but when I started it up again the air gap returned. I fiddled with it a bit but nothing worked. It makes lots of noise and spits out air too. The filter was still working(water flowing out the spray bar) so I left it as at that point after 45 mins of fiddling with it I was annoyed.

So I went to do my water change tonight and the same thing is happening. I took everything apart again. Inspected the motor and hoses and everything looks ok. I checked the seals and they seem ok, no cracks, or anything.The outside seal isn't leaking. But when I put it back together it keeps getting an air gap and making lots of noise.

Any idea what is causing this? How to fix it?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IDK what the issue is...but I have an XP3 and I dislike it very much!!! Definately not on my "buy again" list.

Maybe try using some vaseline around the seal where the gap is?

There isn't a gap in the seal from what I can see. Its a air gap that forms at the top of the cannister.

Whenever I had air bubble issues before it always fixed itself rather quickly and by the next day it would be fine. But its been happening for the past 2 weeks and hasn't resolved itself. I'm worried that the water isn't filtering through the media properly with this gap there. Obviously the filter isn't functioning properly and its really quite noisy. The filter is right next to the tv and its making a loud trickling noise, not something I want to live with.

If it was a seal issue wouldn't the cannister leak? Can you buy new seals?

I have been running an XP3 for years and it runs quietly for the most part. I do find that if there is any air in the system it makes a lot of noise and will spit air. With mine there is an easy solution - after performing maintenance on the filter I need to "burp" it. That is I fill it up with water right to the top then I gently rock it back and forth and from side to side. Each time I rock the filter it will burp and send up bubbles of air. After rocking it a number of times the water level drops and I have to add more water. I usually have to add water about twice before the filter will run quietly again. I hope this helps.

I have been running an XP3 for years and it runs quietly for the most part. I do find that if there is any air in the system it makes a lot of noise and will spit air. With mine there is an easy solution - after performing maintenance on the filter I need to "burp" it. That is I fill it up with water right to the top then I gently rock it back and forth and from side to side. Each time I rock the filter it will burp and send up bubbles of air. After rocking it a number of times the water level drops and I have to add more water. I usually have to add water about twice before the filter will run quietly again. I hope this helps.

usually thats what I do too but this is different then when it gets a few bubbles after restarting it. I've tried refilling it a bunch of different ways too. Even if I fill it 100% full and restart it, the gap comes back. So thats why I figure something must be wrong as I can't seem to fix it by refilling it or restarting it.

Val have a look at the shaft and the impeller and the opening for the magnet; perhaps it is clogged and you don't get the full force of the water. I rock mine back and forth a few times while it is running to expel the air if it is noisy for more than an hour.

John

Val have a look at the shaft and the impeller and the opening for the magnet; perhaps it is clogged and you don't get the full force of the water. I rock mine back and forth a few times while it is running to expel the air if it is noisy for more than an hour.

John

I've check the Impleller shaft a few times now. Its clean, so it the impeller itself. Its also straight.

I'll try readujsting the basket again today but I did that 4 times yesterday and nothing changed.

This is why I prefer HOB AC filters.They are so simple and easy to clean/get working again. Not much to go wrong. This cannister has been annoying each time I've had to clean/ start it up again.

Sounds like a seal problem. I usually take the seals off once every3 months or so and grease it with plumbers silicone (vaseline works but will degrade rubber). Seals are at intake and outlet valve, main head seal and the round one around the impeller area. Grease them well and reinstall. If unit is older than 3 years and you have never greased the seals, might as well get the entire set and redo all of them. On thing is to look at inlet while unit is running and look to see if a small amount of bubbles is coming in from either a cracked fillting or a poorly fitted one. This too may cause your problem. I have 4 of them running and I like them for the price but you have to have to do servicing like any other unit regardless of brand.

This unit is a few years old and I've never greased the seals before, didn't know I was supposed to. Can you buy new seals at Big Al's? Or online somewhere?

On thing is to look at inlet while unit is running and look to see if a small amount of bubbles is coming in from either a cracked fillting or a poorly fitted one.

Where exactly am I looking? When I look through the outer casing the water level is about 1" below the top and I can see water flowing, no specific area where bubbles are coming through. Even when I fill the body up with water 100%, after I start it up the 1" gap returns after a few seconds.

i have an xp2 and xp4 and sometimes when i prime them after filter maintenance they have a bit of an air gap at the top too. what i do is lift one of the 4 clamps with the filter turned off but with the lever on the hoses down, until the water level rises in the canister. you have to be on the ball about this though, lol, or else water will start to trickle right out if you keep that one clamp open too long!

I believe you can get the seals from Bi Al's. The entire set is cheaper than individually. However try taking them off and greasing them first to see if that works. You can buy the plumbers silicone at any plumbing shop or rona or home depot. With the bubbles, I meant look at the hoses from the intake in the tank to the unit itself. You may see a stream of small bubbles which would indicate air is getting in from somewhere at the intake area. I forgot to mention that you should also check the seals as I have had on occasion a dead snail trapped there and their hard shell is sufficient to push the seal aside to introduce air into the system.

Hope this helps

We have 4x xp3s and they are very good filters. This is a common issue and its just a more temperamental design for not purging all of the air. You have to tip the filter forward and shake it a bit with it running and the air will typically work its way out. If it doesn't all come out like that then just leave it and it will eventually work itself out