75Gal Community Tank Help

Sprucegruve

Hey,I have had my 75 gallon tank set up for 9 months. The temp is at 80, with fake black gravel,using aquaclear 110filter(waterfall),lots of driftwood(Mopani,mayalasian)and a couple java ferns and some fake plants.

I have.

1 zebra pleco(another coming in on the 23rd)

I'm thinking of adding 2 More of each tetra(good idea?)

7 glolight tetras

7 rummynose tetras

8 cardinal tetras

Thinking of putting my 2 female and one male german blue ram in(is this a good idea?)

And I want to and some damnation mollys(will they handle this heat?)

I also have 6 zebra snails lol(lucky me I don't have a million in this tank)

Would this be a good community tank?

Alot of noob questions I know, but I did alot of research before posting and found alot of conflicting info about mollys,so need some help from successful owners

The rummynose and cardinals will love 80F. So will the rams which would fit in nicely with your setup. Unfortunately the mollies do not. I would highly suggest not adding mollies to this tank. Too warm, different water parameters.

You could easily double the number of tetras of each school, along with your rams. You may want to throw on another AC110, or add a canister filter. It's a good idea to at least double the recommended filtration (ie. if a filter says "good for tanks up to 75 gal", get 2 of them).

And I want to and some damnation mollys(will they handle this heat?)

I also have 6 zebra snails lol(lucky me I don't have a million in this tank)

Are the mollies going to Hell?? ;)

Zebra snails (aka zebra nerite snail?)eggs won't hatch in FW so no million snails unless you get MTS or Pond or Ramshorn snails.

Sounds like a nice tank...i'd also turn down the heat some though personally. I typically keep all my tanks at 74-76F.

I'd imagine if you turned the temp down a bit you could put some Mollies in. I keep my 20gal at about 76 and my Dalmation Molly seems pretty happy with that. I had it at 78 awhile ago and she seemed good with that too. If you're wanting to have any fish spawn, then keep in mind that the mollies will eat eggs and fry, including their own babies while they give birth to them...they're little piggies, lol.

Ok well I would like to lower the tempature a little bit but my zebra loves it at 80,

Ok so to hot for mollies,and they will eat eggs(not a problem,this isn't a breeding tank)

Thanks for the filter tips I'm adding another aquaclear70 soon

Anyone got experience wih zebra plecos, I will slowly lower temp if they will handle it at 76-78

O and yes they are zebra nertle snails so hey won't hatch unless there in sw

Edited by Sprucegruve

Since your zebra pleco (I'm guessing L46) cost more than all those other fish combined, I'd cater to it and add fish that go with it. Small tetras, rams... when you get the hang of things, you could go with discus - there are many captive bred ones that aren't too expensive and are easier to keep.

I'm going to add a aquaclear 70 filter to this tank(so I will have 70 plus 110 filters)

ok well I'm going to add a couple tetras and think about adding my german blue rams.

Yes it is a L046 zebra also have another one on the way.

I was considering getting a couple mollies because I have alot of hair algae(but I have decided they won't do well in my high temptank)

If you want something to help with algae, why not add more nerites? They're amazing at getting rid of algae. Much better than mollies. Mine barely notice the algae in the tanks...yet the plants...poor poor plants, lol. My nerites cleaned most of the algae out of my 10gal in about 3 days, and there was a lot. Don't know why they're taking their sweet time in the 10 leader, but oh well.

Ok thanks for all of the help everyone, I'm going to add a couple zebra nettle snails, and 2 of each tetra,as well as another l046 zebra pleco.

The new filter will be on by noon tomorrow.

As for the 3 german blue rams will they will be alright with my little cardinal tetras?,I have seen GBR with rummynose tetras as well with glolight tetras.

I don't want to get any cardinals killed.

i have seen german blue rams with small tetras before and the setup worked well. gbr's are considered very placid in the cichlid world and do well with smaller fish. just ensure you have enough plant cover and hiding spots for all your fish, so they have somewhere to retreat to and feel safe.

i'd pass on the mollies for sure. they are absolute pigs when it comes to feeding time, and your other small fish would have too much competition when it comes to getting enough food.

if you are having algae issues, then what is best is to find out why you are having algae and fix the problem instead of buying fish to eat the algae. how long are you leaving your lights on for? does the tank get direct sunlight on it? what are you dosing for fertilizer for your live plants? how often do you do water changes? answers to those questions can help us determine why you are getting algae, and help you to fix it.

I'm going to beg to differ with all of you who don't want the mollies. Mollies are awesome in hard water which most of Alberta has, don't mind heat, love planted tanks and will eat some algae but not all. For that, I get nerite snails. If you get a mixed group with more females than males, they'll be too busy chasing each other to bother other fish. All my community tanks have mollies(and more mollies and so on....) and I think the tanks are warm but I don't use thermometers....

Well I don't really have a major algae issue. I put about 15-20 pounds of driftwood in the tank and there is a good amount of fuzz/hair algae on my Mopani wood.

I keep my lights on for 7 and a half hours/

Lots of cover and hiding places I'm concidering adding a couple more zebra nertle snails.

I put my new filter on today now I'm running aquaclear 70, and 110 on my 75 gal