Pool Filter Sand Edmonton

Jacker

Hey, im looking for some sand for my tank, i heard the pool filter sand was the way to go, i want the VERY white, soft feeling sand, play sand doesnt cut it for me.

Does anyone know where to get some in edmonton? I live in north edmonton, i went to Home Depot, Rona, Canadian Tire and alot of little other places and nothing, if anyone knows where i can go please let me know, i need like 80LB of it

Thanks so much!

I can't help you much since you live in Edmonton, I bought mine from a place in Calgary, but it is a light carmal color. I didn't know you could get "white" pool filter sand. That would be nice also. The carmel color is rather attractive however.

I find it much easier to vacuum than other sand I have (it is probably play sand) and it is clean and uniform and doesn't compact.

Unless you special order it, I believe you pretty much get what their is for color. The stuff around Alberta is generally a pleasing amber, caramel colour. White pool filter sand is BRIGHT white, FYI. Like, hurts your eyes it's so bloody bright, bright. Not really and issue but poop show up magnificently on top of it.

• 11 months later...

I went to a spa and pool business yesterday to look for this sand. They were selling 50 pound bags for $18. Reason for not buying was the guy mentioned this sand is very course, more of a rough texture than normal play sand. Just wondering if any of the people using this sand encountered any problems to their fish. Too sharp for the barbels of certain catfish or damage to the mouths of digging cichlids. The color of the sand was the same as play sand, nothing fancy. thanks.

If you go to a sandblasting place, you can get twice as much for less $$.

In Edmonton, check out Sil Industries - their Sil8 and Sil9 are great sizes. Basically the same as the PFS you were looking at.

While it is more coarse than playsand, I never had problems with any fish. That being said, I think the fish like sand better - I know I do! :)

Yes go to Sil Industries, just off Yellowhead and 17 St. but Sil 8 or 9 is NOT what you want. That is very coarse sand.

Sil 1 is the finest, but it is not white, it is brown / beige. Ask them for the Filter sand. They have it as fine as 1.0. I bought 2.0 yesterday, it's very white, very fine, and very clean. They also have Filter 2.4 and 3.0 which is slightly coarser. For 100 lb bag of Filter 2.0, I paid $17.85 tax in. Can't beat it.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. I'll hopefully have pics of my tank with this sand in very soon.

Boom :boom:

I just wanted to hear someone say it is fine to use and not worry about being too harsh for the fish. Then I realized fish probably encounter much harsher substrate in the wild lol. I'll pick up a few bags here when i get the chance. If I lived closer to edmonton fisher i would take you up on your offer but thanks. And some pics from boom would be nice to see!

• 4 months later...