Boiling Coconut Shell

Okotoks

I didn't boil them when I made my coconut caves. I just washed them to get any residue that might be on them off and cut them in half. If you want to boil them just let them boil for a little while to kill anything/clean them, no need to boil them for hours like you would with driftwood.

To get the meat out you just slide a knife in between the meat and the shell and hope it pops out in chunks. Sometimes baking it in the oven also helps get the meat out as it shrinks away from the shell when cooked. I've always just worked at it with a knife and its come out.

I didn't even worry about cleaning all the meat out - the plecos took care of any small bits that were left.

Ok thank you all for the help. here is what I did. Put the 2 halves with white meat into a large stock pot and boiler for 15 minutes. Set the steaming hot halves on the back deck with whit meat sides facing into the sun. Returned a couple hours later and the meat had shrunk right off. Thanks again folks.

I just might have to pick up a coconut and do this haha. Could use some more caves in my tank.

Do they degrade over time in the tank?

I've had mine a few years and they haven't degraded. The only thing is the plecos have eaten them smooth, no more furry rough outsides.

I just might have to pick up a coconut and do this haha. Could use some more caves in my tank.

Do they degrade over time in the tank?

Costco sells a variety box of sorbet where the sorbet comes in halves of the fruit they are made up of. Orange=half orange, lemon=half lemon, coconut=half coconut shell. The coconut shells are potable and ready for use in aquaria. The sorbet is great too!