fuzzy stuff help !!!!!!!

pinkeyfish

ok I have a african tank and one of my mails not to sure what he is has got fuzzy stuff on one of his eyes and on the same side and I noticed on some of my parrotts that they are missing scales I can't find any info on it so I am not to sure what to treat it with ?? I also have an electric yellow femal that is in a breeding thing in my tank she is about to spit out her babies and I am scared to move her to a seperate tank because the only tank I have already has babies in it and I don't want them to get sick either but I also don't know if the medicine will kill the babies before they are born ??? I really need some help please

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/suns...ls/21234206.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/suns...ls/21234249.jpg

Edited by pinkeyfish

Fuzziness usually means fungus. I've never had to treat a severe case of it before so i'm not exactly sure what to use. Try doing a google search on fungus.

What exactly are your water parameters? Fungus usually happens when there is an injury and poor water quality. The poor water lets an infection take hold in the injured area.

First thing i'd do is do water changes to make the water as clean as possible and try and figure out how all these fish for injured. If one is being aggresive and causing all these injuries remove it otherwise it will just continue.

But please tell us what your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are. Its important in trying to figure out whats wrong

all my levels are perfect

Amonia is 0

Nitrite is 0 I don't have a nitrate test

my fish are eating well , I don't have a quarintine tank so I have them in breeding tanks inside my tank I just melafix in and I am going to do a water change tomorrow it's to late tonight to do it one of the ones I have quarantined has a cloudy eye and a fuzzy patch right behind that and the other one my fontosa fins are pretty ragged so hopefully they will be safer atleast and I lost a chinese algae eater but I think I might have had a hand in that

Whenever you find your fish aren't looking 100%, do a water change! It will help almost every time. If they've got fungus looking stuff (ragged fins etc), adding some salt can also make a huge difference. I almost never treat fungused/torn fins, because if your water is ok and your fish were healthy to start with I've always found they can heal themselves pretty good.

I've always been told that cloudy eyes are a sign of poor water quality; not too sure what would need to be poor, but test kits can't test for everything that would affect your fish. Whenever I've had fish get cloudy/fungused eyes (most often when I'm away for a couple weeks and unable to do any changes) I immediately do water changes and it's always made a difference (though they will often never get back to 100% and almost appear to have cataracts).

Good luck with your problems.

well I lost my Fantosa last night and my femaile electric yellow spit her babies and they were all dead I put melafix in the water last night and you could see the babies in her mouth and they were fine so I think the melafix killed them I am so mad about this right now it isen't even funny :banned: :banned: :banned:

Water changes are the MOST important medication you can give your fish.

Much better than melafix.

agree 100%

As others have already stated, fungus outbreaks are usually brought on by poor water conditions. Depending on the size of your tank, the amount & size of your fish, the type of substrate, the filtration, how much you feed, and what you feed, your nitrates could be much higher than you realize.

Also, along with water changes, keeping your filtration clean is also very important. The harder your filters have to work, the quicker they get gunged up with waste, which can also lead to excessive nitrates, as well as increasing the overall bacteria count in your water.

A clean tank is a healthy tank.

I am going to go to golds and talk to Denise this afternoon and see if he can help me with this and right now Calgary water smells really funny so I am really leary on changing the water I had a shower and my hair is really dry now which it never is so I don't know what they are putting in the water to get it clean

Probably extra chlorine, due to the recent rain. As long as you are using a little extra water conditioner, this shouldn't be any problem, and will be much better than having excessive nitrates & bacteria in your tank water.

Dennis won't be able to offer you any more than what you've already been told here. Clean water = healthy fish

so I went and saw Denise and took him 2 of the affected fish and he said the one has cloudy eye but whatever is on it is falling off and other than that they look very healthy and not to treat the tank just do waterchanges and keep a close watch on them and as for my yello lab babies he said she was holding them way to long and they all starved

so last night I brought my neighbour over to see if he could figure it out and he said it was ich so I stripped my tank down and did a water change and put in the medicine and a fish that I thought was dying is now fine well improving atleast and the others are doing better so I still have to change the water again tonight and redose because some still have spots but we are on the road for recovery

Ich is something completely different then fungus. You said your fish had fuzziness not spots. Ich looks like salt sprinkled on your fishes fins(and body if its bad).

But either way both conditions are usually a result of poor water quality. Something is obviously off so do more water changes. Get a nitrAte test(or get it tested at a store). YOur nitrates might be really high and that could be the problem.

What is your normal water change schedual? how stocked is your tank?