Moving Tanks Sucks!

I have a 6ft-120g tank...and we had it set up as a room divider that divided the dinning area and the living areas. Sometime this past week we decided...lets change the location of the tank. Ok...but where? We didn't decide the actual location until about 3 inches of water remained in the tank. We removed the biggest fish (Very large Catfish and some Congos), nothing major. Removed the 60lbs of lace rock and lava rock. We ended up filling up 9 buckets and two totes full of water, left the 3 inches of water in the tank for the fish and snails and made a plan of action.

Did you know...that even with only 3 inches of water in the tank, that it still weighs a freakin' tonne?? We ended up having to call in some help. We decided it would be best to move the tank while still on the stand...OY! What a precarious move. I think the fish are very, very unhappy at us right now...lol.

Now that the tank is moved...i'm wanting to set it up with different fish. :( I know once I do it, i'll regret it...dang it.

Isn't the long weekend supposed to be restful? lol I'll have to post a before and after pic of the tank...hopefully there will be improvement.

Um, when they are that big, and not empty they are really heavy. Just some quick math, 3 inches of water is 18 gallons, or 150 lbs, plus 215 for the tank, makes for freaking heavy. Glad nobody got herniated, or died. Hope you like the new spot, I think it should stay right there.:blush:

hahaha...ya. 1/2" glass...2" sand substrate...3" of water really sucks. The stand is about 100lbs as well...hubby thought to over build it. Yay us when moving it!

The new spot seems awkward, but i'm happy to leave it where it is. Hubby wanted to move it behind the couch...thankfully I convinced him what a bad idea that was...maintenance would have been horrific!

Its pretty nasty, moving those big tanks. I'm moving my 135 gallon in about 2 weeks. To say the least, I'm not looking forward to it. My mom decided to change the flooring in our whole basement. We decided to move the tank with about 2 inches of water left in it. Its going to be really heavy. We're gonna get 2 or 3 other guys to come help us lift it up onto some carpenters carts, then we're gonna roll it into a small storage space, so the floor can be put in, then the tankn ncan be moved back into postition. Glad to hear it went well for you. How many people did it take to lift yours? Our tanks are fairly similar in size and gravel and water, etc... Would just like to get an idea so were not scrambling around at the last minute. Thanks!

Thats the one thing I kind of regret now, was not finding the absoute perfect spot for my 120g tank the first time. now its staying where it is since the tank weighs 210, the stand weight 75, theres a 100lbs (dry) of play sand, and water weighs too much. When I move Ill make sure to locate it in a better spot in my house lol.

OMG...I found a smokin' deal last night on a 180 gallon...went to look at it...looked perfect...had as steel stand, all the plastic moulding was good. All they wanted was $100! The only problem was that it was in the basement...and it was finished, so the staircase was narrow and at a steep angle! It was a nice house and to damage a wall or two or three was going to suck!!! So although it was a SMOKIN' deal, we had to decline since we just couldn't find a way to get it up the stairs with just the two of us :( I was so sad to leave it there. But as the title of this thread states...Moving Tanks Sucks!! LOL

I have done a 135 move recently with four people.

The 180 I moved once was tough. I had six of us.

Keeping water in the tank, no mater how small the tank is bad as slight shifts but the tank off balance while you are carrying it.