Setting Up Apisto Tank

Mokos

Hi everyone Im new to the forum here. Just have a couple questions about housing apistos. Mainly what has and hasn't worked for everyone. Do I go with a planted tank? Leaf litter? Will my tap water be ok if it's not on the softer side? I have been doing online research of their natural habitat for a while now. But I still wouldnt mind any input from everyone. And heck It would be nice to be able to talk to others that enjoy their fish aswell.

Thanks

Jeff

I have some apisto euntous in a 55 with sand substrate, live plants, Teracota pots as caves and some driftwood

They seem to like live plants, and caves

My water is kind of hard in spruce grove so I use a little peat in some pantyhose in the filter

My eunotus are wild-caught and are currently raising young in Edm tap water. Plants, wood, pots are all good. Probably have a few more hiding places than fish.

Thanks everyone. Tap water with a little tweak of peat or moss. Sounds good. I think I'll get a little driftwood aswell as plants. All I have are rocks. They stack nice for caves tho. As for types I was thinkin Of cacatuoides either species, Baenchi,viejita, more less whatever Is availiable at the time. But I like these 3. But I was also thinking of rams either Bolivian or German blue and possibly discus with the apistos. Any thoughts? Bad idea? As for filtration I'm just waiting on a eheim 2217 from a guy on kijiji. I will use it on a 60 gal. Will it create to much movement? I read that apistos like calm water and some like it moving just a bit. I'm just unsure.

One 2217 on a 60 gallon IMO is not enough . My Bitaeniata's like it on the calm side so I just have the outlet breaking the surface . It also stops from pushing around my leaf litter .My Cacatuoide's in my planted tank don't seem to care if there was a high or low current.

Blake

Sounds good then. What would you recommend or filtration I have a penguin biowheel 350 aswell I just dislike having to constantly buy filters for them it gets pricey after a while. And it has been getting noisy it's 2 years old now. Any suggestions

Thank you

Jeff

You will want enough filtration to change out your tank 4 to 5 times an hour. Remember to remove 30% of what the filter is rated for on the box. If that filter is rated 100 gallon tank in reality it is good for a 70 gallon tank or less. On my bigger tank 75 gallons i have a eheim pro 3 2075 and a 2073. For a rated filter capacity of 250 gallons if you aim your outlets off the back wall you will not see a lot of current from them