Planted Tank Emergency!

nanmer

I need a bit of help! My tank has this weird coat of white growing all over the substraight and some of the plants. I noticed my cannister filter was not working yesterday and I cleaned it up. It was full of kind of a clear slime. Today there is a coat of white spider web like mat growing all over the bottom. I am not sure if the cause was my DIY bottle fell on it's side and a bit of the yeast mixture did get sucked into the tank. Any help with cleaning up this nasty stuff would be appreciated!

Already on it, thanks Cate!

I think it may be the yeast. I had some of my DIY stuff bubble into the tank one time because I filled it too full and the next day my tank had a mini crash. Lost my two favorite bristles and a oto. The tank went white if I recall correctly. After a few days or so it went down. Though I didn't have the clear slime problem, but I had a sponge prefilter for my tank.

Edited by Iceturf

Thanks Iceturf. I have upped the filtration and did a major water change. Quite a nice current now, the frogbit is spinning LOL.

Hopefully it goes down in a few days (sounds like swelling, don't forget the ice!), should take care of itself. I would think you have already quarantined the fauna out of the tank?

No I have not, they are all swimming well. I don't have a quarantine tank but will do another water change later today. I put a filter with aged media on it, hopefully it will help.

Thankfully, that white stuff isn't harmful to fish. It grows from the excess sugars in the water - I almost always see that stuff at the end of the hose on DIY CO2. Ottos LOVE the stuff!!

LOL I noticed my ottos were eating the stuff like crazy! None of the fish seem to be in distress. I know that not much of the DIY yeast got into the tank, must not take a lot!