Advice On A New Filter?

Caprichoso

We're buying my sister a fish tank for her birthday. We've decided on something around 50 gallons. What would be a good quality canister or HOB filter for a tank of that size. I'm only familiar with the Fx5 and AquaClear personally as those are the only ones I've owned. I want her to have something that's easy to clean and use and that can be stuffed with a lot of bio-media.

Thanks guys/gals

2x eheim 2215 or 2217

for ultimate filtration/flow

easy to clean, lots of bio. relatively cheap if you can find one used (which is bound to be in great condition considering some of these canisters still run 30 years later)

Edited by ridethespiral

If you have the cash an Eheim would be great, but if you want good filtration on a budget, I'm with nautilus - go Rena XP3. If she wants to go planted, maybe just add in a med-lrg powerhead, but if she's wanting a largely populated display of fish an AC would be a good addition.

eheim is a great powerhouse canister filter and what i would recommend. You can get the 2226 and that will take care of any amount of fish that she'll put in the tank. Its easy to clean and service too and you can stuff alot of media into it.

I would go with the Rena XP3 or XP4 they are by far the easiest to rip apart and put back together. I run a lot of different brands of canisters but will eventually only be running Rena's.

I suggest an Eheim 2217 Classic or an Eheim 2226 Professional. Simply, there has never been a better quality or efficant brand of cannister filtration availible. They cost a little more to buy new, but nothing is cheaper to run. Running an Eheim will use less than half the energy of anything else; the media lasts twice as long as any other; they last 3 times longer than any other brand; no other filter biologically filters an aquarium as effiantly as an Eheim and they are made in a democratic society. They are the easiest filter to maintain and get started.Compare the intake strainer alone to everything else and that will give you a good idea of the difference in quality.

Edited by Evolution