Manzanita Scape

jcgd

I received all my wood for my new 165 gallon.. A little hiccup along the way, but in the end I got exactly what I wanted.

I threw together my first attempt at the hardscape. You can really see the look I'm going for, although I will have to tweak it a bit. Just for reference, the board and styrofoam are both the tank's footprint - 72"x24". The green string is the approximate water line, about 21".

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

The tank will be in a corner so only the front and left side will be visible.

I think the horizontal pieces on the left are a little too thick, but I'm hoping I can mute their presence with plants.

I'm not 100% sure on everything, but bolbitis and needle leaf java on the wood, various anubias. Heavy crypts through the mid ground. I'm not sure on the foreground, but repens for sure and possibly HC or belem hairgrass. I have it on hand so I can decide last minute. I'm also thinking of putting some stems in the background on the right, behind the tall wood.

If you have some bright lights for the tank (MH, T5, or a bajillion LEDs), you could suspend them from the ceiling and get some plants growing on the branches that are out of the water. You could easily wind some Ivy on the upper parts - you may even be able to grow a bromilliad at the water level! :)

If you have some bright lights for the tank (MH, T5, or a bajillion LEDs), you could suspend them from the ceiling and get some plants growing on the branches that are out of the water. You could easily wind some Ivy on the upper parts - you may even be able to grow a bromilliad at the water level! :)

DIY LED build. 28 XML at 1500mA and 24 XPG at 1000mA. I'll have four of these pendants.

1FiredUp.jpg

2FiredUp.jpg

It's midnight and all the lights in the house are off, except the one pendant. XMLs are maxed out, XPGs are turned down all the way (around 200mA)

5CoolWhitecolour.jpg

meh.. it looks ok. :w00t:

I assume the zip ties are going to be replaced and that its holding multiple pieces together? Pretty neat.

Haha.

Either black zip ties or stainless steel screws. A good chunk of the right section is one piece, most of the long branches are added on. Some are friction held so there are fewer sip ties than there are pieces.

I've used screws lots of times to hold wood together in tanks. Be careful with friction holds, buoyancy (even if the wood is waterlogged) can shift the wood apart. I've also used Gorilla Glue - a little goes a long way

I've used screws lots of times to hold wood together in tanks. Be careful with friction holds, buoyancy (even if the wood is waterlogged) can shift the wood apart. I've also used Gorilla Glue - a little goes a long way

Yeah, I'm not trusting the friction holds when the wood goes in the tank. I just didn't want to waste a bunch of zip ties because I had to take it down until the tank is ready.

Gorilla glue you say? It's kinda like wood glue isn't it? Is it proven aquarium safe? I don't want to use zip ties but many of the pieces are too thin to screw into.

Looks great Justin, I might have to get some manzanita for my next couple of tanks.

Ron

Ron, I love manzanita. I think it's beautiful and you can make any scape you want. If you get bored, you just put together something new.

nice woods.

I'm just wondering if the pink board will be tank's background?

Are you going to make the right side (the taller branch) as your focal point?

Great start ...:)

Of course not, haha. The background will be black vinyl or the wall behind the tank. I haven't decided yet. I think I'll put it on and remove it later if I don't like it.

I'm not really sure about focal points, but I'm thinking the main mass on the right, the branches at the left, and the bit above the tank. I'll have to work with it one it's in the tank. I don't want the scape to stop at the rim. I want it to continue above the tank.

Use the belem...hc is a pita...repens is a good choice as well...

either way this tank should look good

I've heard HC gets too thick and lifts itself up. I haven't let a tank get to that point as I stripped my last one once mature and but the carpet in an immersed setup. Belem looks awesome, but it is so invasive. I think it would look good scattered throughout. The stuff I have stays nice and low and likes to curve over rather than straight up.

ya once hc gets really thick you have to mow it constantly or it rots underneath and floats up...Belem is invasive..my suggestion is use smaller pieces of manzanita layed on the substrate to section it off..kinda like roots coming off the big pieces...