Tank-O-Death!

Jayba

So since finishing up work for the year I have really been getting my fish nerd on. I have spent a small fortune on quality fish, like a breeding group of Otopharynx lithobates, 6 various Compreciceps growing out, Aulonocara 'German Red's (from Germany via Fairdeal) a breeding group of Gold Head comps. and WC maylandi shipped in from Florida.

While out of town teaching a course my wife figured she would help out by doing a water change on my 125 gallon tank. The only problem being that with no air stone in the tank, you must allow the filter to create turbulence at the surface to oxygenate the water, and cannot fill the tank completely because if you cover the filter output, there is little or no turbulence.

Well guess what happened today? I got a call that everything in the tank except the WC Mylandi's and the catfish had died. She fished out 23 dead fish today. ( She doesn't deal with dead fish very well to boot) so needless to say I am bummed out.

So, what shall I buy for the newly empty tank? Anyone have good deals on quality breeding groups?

Edited by Jayba

I know your pain. That happened to me on a pair of L91 a few months ago, then I let the hose stay under the water level while filling a month later, and the dissolved gases killed a female L91 and a good sized L128. :(

OMG...you are taking it a lot better than I would have! I'd have been rocking myself in a corner mumbling to myself...lol

Whatever you decide to put in there, let us know...always interesting to know!

Luckily when my wife called I was busy with some big wigs from Suncor, they could hear and had to remain calm. So that gave me some time to think calmly. She was trying to help out so I couldn't get upset with her. I also am also getting wise in my old age and have learned to pick my battles. It is more the inconvienience that pisses me off. But really, it could always had been worse, like my entire tank full of pricey plecos or something like that. This is what can happen when you place animals in unstable glass boxes sometimes. *sigh*

Just curious as to why you would not have an air stone in the tank? Would an air stone have prevented this tragedy?

Yeah......sadly. But I have never used them on this tank. My FX5 output comes through the background and creates lots of surface agitation, so it really is not required, unless the output if too deep to stir up things. Just don't use them on this tank for cosmetic reasons. Ah the price of vanity.

That is bad news :cry: --- but you could make yourself happy with a colony of 20+ Tropheus that I hear is available.

Who has them? What kind? Sounds expensive...

You will have to ask Harold sHa_sarcasticlol.gif

OK, So I replaced the 8 German Red Cichlids from Fairdeal (Harold), another trio of Black Calvus and begged another 8 young O. Lithobates from my friend. Everyone is small and make the tank look really vacant. I did have 3 juvi sulferheads survive, so we shall see whai I am left with, they are way too small to sex, so we shall see how everyone settles in.