What To Stock In New 35G

epiphany

I've had the opposite experience (although I'm not sure what is considered a FULL grown Amano Shrimp), my Angel's immediately started picking at the Amano's I added and by the next day I couldn't spot any at all.

I also had a similar experience with amanos and my angel. They weren't full adult sized amanos , they were more around 1 1/2" but I dropped in 12 and I stood there and watched all 60$ worth of shrimp get eaten in a minute. After that I don't trust adding anything shrimpy to my angel tank.

I was also worried when I added my Rummynose school as a couple were a little bit smaller but they seem to be doing fine. They got chased for the first few days but the angel didn't eat any. Now they are fine together.

If you want angels I suggest buying 2 that are already paired or buying a group of 5-6 and letting them pair up themselves and removing the rest. Just putting 2 angels together will probably result in one getting beat up.

This is exactly what I'd do, leaning towards buying 5-6 juvies and letting them pair off. I'm biased though since I really enjoy raising the fish from being small to adulthood.

I'm liking the looks of the golden barbs. So this is my current plan, if anybody has suggestions or concerns I'd love to hear them. 2 black velvet angelfish, will hopefully be able to get a pair already together. 5-7 cherry barbs, probably 6 or 7 though. 4 ottos, and il start with 2-3 Amani shrimp, and if none of the fish seem to eat or bother with the amanos then I'd probably add a couple more. Filtration and lighting will stay the same unless I find I need more filtration in which case I'll get another hob filter. I'm thinking about getting some floating plant like frogbit which I'll use some airline and suction cups to sort of corral it in one area. How does this sound to everyone?

I'm liking the looks of the golden barbs. So this is my current plan, if anybody has suggestions or concerns I'd love to hear them. 2 black velvet angelfish, will hopefully be able to get a pair already together. 5-7 cherry barbs, probably 6 or 7 though. 4 ottos, and il start with 2-3 Amani shrimp, and if none of the fish seem to eat or bother with the amanos then I'd probably add a couple more. Filtration and lighting will stay the same unless I find I need more filtration in which case I'll get another hob filter. I'm thinking about getting some floating plant like frogbit which I'll use some airline and suction cups to sort of corral it in one area. How does this sound to everyone?

Sounds fantastic! Make sure you update with pictures.

• 1 month later...

An unfortunate update. Both of the angels I got passed away recently, so the tank currently just has 7 golden barbs, 5 otos, one amano and 15ish ghost shrimp. I will be looking to replace the angels, but not for a while to make sure that there's not some parasite working through the fish currently in there. I don't think I will want to go with angels this time around, so am looking to go with something different. I would like something that would work with the barbs, but I'm not set on that as I could likely find a new home for them. So here we are, ideas on some nice social fish to eventually replace my angels? I want a fair sized fish, maybe a bit smaller than an angel would be, would like something that is a bit social and interesting looking. Thanks.