What To Stock In New 35G

epiphany

Hey everybody, I've recently set up a 35g tank with the dimensions of 30lx12dx22h, and am unsure of what fish to actually be putting in there. Some info on the tank: 35g, flourite substrate with driftwood. Currently is lightly planted with cabomba and temple. Light is 2x24w T5HO lights about 6" above the water. Filtration is an aquaclear 50 and a sponge filter in the rear corner of the tank. I would like to have a few larger fish(2"-3") or something, and a school of small fish. I was thinking about doing something along the lines of a few gouramis (powder blue maybe) and a school of celestial pearl danios. I'm not set on either of those fish, but just know I want a few bigger 'centerpiece' type fish and a school of small fish. I also would like to have a few ottos and a few amano shrimp to help keep things clean. Going by this, does anyone have some suggestions on what would be nice in here? If I forgot to mention anything please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you in advance!

A picture of the tank can be seen here: http://i.imgur.com/ysy4k.jpg

2 Angels in a 35 should be fine, in a 60g you could keep 4-5 Angels so I'm sure your 35 would be fine for 2 (maybe even a trio).

I've currently got 4 Angels growing out in a 30g and once I get a pair they will be moving to another 30, they're about 2.5 inches across and no aggression problems yet.

Edited by jeremoose

cardinal tetras are nice as a school. i'd suggest getting something with more pop then a gourami, but its up to what you like. i like the set up too!

Angels are predators. Once adults they will eat your CPDs, cardinals, neons, etc. IME, cardinals are about the biggest snack angels will go for, as Rummynose seem to do fine.

I agree that 2 angels would be fine in a 35 - my pair are currently breeding it up in a 25; they're about 3/4 grown. Schoolers to put with them could be mid-sized tetras (rummynose or bigger), dwarf rainbows, barbs or danios.

That's awesome then, I love the look of angels but didn't think I'd be able to house them in this tank. Are there certain angel species to look for/avoid? I've seen black Angels at riverfront and I like their looks, other than colour is there a difference between those and other angels? How exactly would I pick a pair, are the males and females easy to tell apart? And how many of the tetras or barbs would I want, 5 or so? And would Angels leave ottos alone?

The only angels you should avoid are Altums. Depending on filtration and planting, you could go with up to 10 2" schoolers. If you want to run CO2 go with a larger canister - on rated for 60+gal. If not, what you have is a good start, adding a second HOB would be good.

That's awesome then, I love the look of angels but didn't think I'd be able to house them in this tank. Are there certain angel species to look for/avoid? I've seen black Angels at riverfront and I like their looks, other than colour is there a difference between those and other angels? How exactly would I pick a pair, are the males and females easy to tell apart? And how many of the tetras or barbs would I want, 5 or so? And would Angels leave ottos alone?

Angels are nearly impossible to tell females from males, most of the time you have to wait for them to pair off to tell the difference. I prefer koi Angels and the black velvet ones you're talking about. And yes, the Angels would leave the ottos alone! :)

I'm not planning on doing c02 or switching to a canister on this tank. I would like to stick with my current filtration but if that won't be enough I'd pick up a second hob. Would they leave Amani shrimp alone or would they become snacks? And without being able to easily tell them apart would there be any aggression issues having 2 males or 2 females, or so I just lose the breeding aspect?

Full sized Ammanos are too big for angels, IME. I was even surprised to see them survive with adult sevrums!

2 angels should be OK regardless of gender. Sometimes it doesn't work out, so if you're set on just 2 and they don't get along, trade out the aggressor. The other way to go is to get 4-6 young ones and when 2 start spending all their time together, remove the others.

I've had the opposite experience (although I'm not sure what is considered a FULL grown Amano Shrimp), my Angel's immediately started picking at the Amano's I added and by the next day I couldn't spot any at all.

Edited by jeremoose

I've had the opposite experience (although I'm not sure what is considered a FULL grown Amano Shrimp), my Angel's immediately started picking at the Amano's I added and by the next day I couldn't spot any at all.

I also had a similar experience with amanos and my angel. They weren't full adult sized amanos , they were more around 1 1/2" but I dropped in 12 and I stood there and watched all 60$ worth of shrimp get eaten in a minute. After that I don't trust adding anything shrimpy to my angel tank.

I was also worried when I added my Rummynose school as a couple were a little bit smaller but they seem to be doing fine. They got chased for the first few days but the angel didn't eat any. Now they are fine together.

If you want angels I suggest buying 2 that are already paired or buying a group of 5-6 and letting them pair up themselves and removing the rest. Just putting 2 angels together will probably result in one getting beat up.