Best bulbs for africans

Vallisneria

Well, i think its time i bought some new bulbs for my 90g african tank. Right now i have 4 40w daylight bulbs i bought from home depot but i find them way too yellow. I was wondering what everyone else uses on their tanks to bring out the colors of their africans. I have yellow labs,acei and P.phenochillus so i want something to show off the yellows and blues.

So tell me what you use and if you have a pic of your tank using the lights that would be great.

Pisces does have an isle with bulbs and they show the difference between them by having them lit up beside each other in a show case. That may help you decide which you like the best

I use a power glo and life glo bulb combination on one tank whilst using just life glo's on some other tanks. I find the life glo creates a very crisp clean look to the tank. If you're not growing plants, be wary of algae growth with a lot of lights. In terms of pricing, I would never pay the $40+ for a light bulb. I bought mine during a LFS sale. GE and Philips have some pretty decent lighting options you may also want to try out. You can visit there websites for colour spectrums and how that affects the tank presentation.

If you're looking for a really nice tank effect then use a single life glo bulb. With accompanying rock work, it creates a tank with lit areas and shadow areas. I'm running that on one of my tanks and it looks very sweet.

J

Thanks for all the replies :)

I think i'm going to try the powerglos. I"ve tried all the different bulbs you can find at homedepot and have never really liked their look. I think its time to try something a bit different, even if they are more expensive.

IMO a combo of powerglo & aquaglo give off a very natural light, and also help pick up the blues & reds in your fish. I've tried each by itself, and found the combo to be the best.

For a crisp white light lifeglo is indeed one of the best.

IMO shop lights, HD bulbs, etc, all give off a yellow looking hue, which although very inexpensive, they are also quite unnatural looking.