How To Sex Cichlids

spike

Hi guys so im wondering the best way to sex cichlids from reading online i read you can sex some of them by the spots on the tail means male my only problem with that is my electric yellow just had fry and i put her back in the display but never played close attention to her and when looking in the tank all my electric yellows have the dots any ideas

Edited by spike

Egg spots on the ventral fin is about 80% effective - some big females get some nice big egg spots. The only way to 100% sex Rift Lake Cichlids is by venting them, and that's not easy in young fish. If females have spawned before, they're quite easy to vent - just Google venting African cichlids, and you'll find some good reading.

As J said , the only sure fire way is by venting. Unfortunately black on the fins of male electric yellows is not reliable - I was at Neil's place one morning on my way to Edmonton and he was showing me his 'subdominant male' electric yellow; it was about as typical as is possible in its vibrant yellow and deep black in all its fins. I stopped by on the way home, and the 'male' had spawned w the dominant male - it was in fact just a female w stunning coloration. I've even got a female back in the Hat right now that's carrying that I would've thought was a male based on deep black in the anal fin.

• 2 weeks later...