What's growing in my tank?

Doc_Polit

Hey Gang,

I could really use some help! :cry:

There is something growing inside my 10 gallon tank that I haven't encountered in all the years I've kept fish.

The tank is a standard 10 gallon with canopy (compact fluorescents for light). It is heated and filtered by 2 AC Mini's. The gravel is brand new, natural colored.

The only inhabitant is 1 male Betta Splendens, although I just removed 4 Platies lastnight.

Anyway....these growths look like tiny sprigs of dandelion fluff. They appear to be white, and are partially free-flowing with a tiny tail that adheres to the glass.

From a distance it just looks like the glass is dirty or has algae starting to form. We went from a handful of these things to hundreds in 2 weeks. :boxed:

Anybody have any idea what this stuff is? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Doc_Polit B)

Could it be hydra?

Hydra- This is a fresh water creature that consists of a hollow tube like body that has between 4-10 tentacles surrounding a mouth at one end. There are several species, varying in color from white to green and brown. These pests can be introduced into an aquarium by live foods or on plants. In the wild they are found on the undersides of stones or floating leaves. They normally eat small aquatic crustaceans and worms, but the fishkeeper is alarmed due to their ability to paralyze and trap baby fish. It can be eliminated by using a copper treatment,or a 0.3 percent salt solution. Removing the fish and raising the water's temp to 108 degrees F. for a few hours is also effective. Their is also modern anti-parasite treatments available.

Becky

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.....

The stuff wasn't hydra, so I wasn't sure what to do. Several days passed while I contemplated giving everything a good dose of bleach, and starting over from scratch.

During this time the stuff turned green.

It was actually some kind of wild hair algae! -roll-

All that paranoia was cured by a simple algae scrub. What a relief. :smokey:

• 1 year later...
Look like these?

hydra.JPG

If so, go here for Oxquo's post...

http://s6.invisionfree.com/AlbertaAquatica...p?showtopic=203

I think I have these in my 1 gallond snail tank. I've never seen them before. Should it be a problem? If I use the coppersafe it'll probably kill my snails, what else could I do?

Hydra shouldn't be a problem for your snails. They're just teeny tiny freshwater anemone.

Hydra can also be green (some species contain symbiotic algae). When I had a few appear on the glass, I thought they were a new algae breakout until I looked closer. They were there for a few weeks and then disappeared. Not really a problem critter unless they're in a fry tank.

One of mine volunteered for microscope duty; here's a video: hydra

I found an interesting article, it backs up what you were saying about harmless to all but small fry. It also says that they prefer a good water quality, so I guess my tanks are well enough maintained lol Here's the site for those who want more info...

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Hydra.htm

Or watch some of these videos of hydra eating way kewl ....

http://www.microscopyu.com/moviegallery/po...ydra/index.html

Edited by Qattarra