Lighting Confusion For The New Guy

creekbottom

This is crazy! I've been doing so much reading my brain is mush from all the info. I have a 10 gallon and 20 gallon tall, both planted tanks. They are both currently lit with 2 10watt CFL bulbs each. The kind that screw in to an old incandescent fixture. I am in the process of hooking up yeast CO2 and doing research on how to fertilize.

After much reading I'm concerned that I don't have enough light, especially in the 20g. By the watts per gallon rule, absolutely not! I could upgrade the bulbs to 20 watt but the length goes from 5 inches to 8! Not really going to fit in the hood. So besides not having enough light, I'm also worried I don't have enough intensity. Which is why I want to increase the watts as well, but good luck finding higher watt bulbs that will fit the hood.

Then I started to look at DIY lighting systems, specifically the ones from AH supply. Is that a good idea? Will it work? I originally wanted to go with real florescents when I purchased the last hood because I thought the bulb selection was greater but the guy at the LFS didn't think that was a good idea, even for a planted tank. Not sure about that, considering what I've read.

The 20 gallon has been running for a while now, since November. The vals are really slow growing, the crypt has put out some new leaves, and the sword? (forgot the name) has done nothing!

Any advice? I would rather change the lighting than be limited in what I can grow.

thanks

Go to all seasons garden center. Pick up a couple sunblaster t5 fixtures. There cheap...Buy 2 for the 20 gallon. and 1 for the 10 gallon. Don't worry about relectors. You will have enough light without them to grow anything.

Edited by ubr0ke

The WPG concept is totally outdated considering that 1 watt of quality LED lighting will FAR out-perform 1 watt of T5 lighting. But ubr0ke pretty much hit the nail on the head for what you should do. But if you want to have low heat and low power consumption lights go with LED's.

Edited by jeremoose

The sunblasters come with mounting brackets, so if your light hoods are big enough, you may be able to retrofit the new lights into your existing hood.

I would go to lee valley as it sounds like theirs come with a reflector and the garden centers do not. Also dont forget to get a power cord and a coupler cord (for hooking 2 together). They sell separate for like 2 bucks. Check out their website it's all on there under gardening.

Cords:

2 lights together: 1 coupler, 1 power

1 light: 1 power

I have been doing some browsing, All Seasons is out of 2 foot T5HO right now, should be in tomorrow. How do you put those on your tank? And incidentally my tanks are both only 20" wide, not the much more common 24". You say the ones from Lee Valley come with mounting hardware? It looks like that is for screwing them under something.

With more looking around on the web I'm considering going with a glass top or no top most likely and if All Seasons or Lee Valley don't work out I may end up buying fixtures online. The ones with the fancy legs that sit above the water. Enormous shipping costs, can you get those in Canada?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/T5-Aquarium-Light-Strip-20-Freshwater-Plant-Discus-Tropical-Fish-36W-6500K-10-G-/110818614536?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cd4ddd08#ht_1449wt_802

There is an LED set up there as well for cheaper I think but it seems like T5HO is the way to go.

Does anyone have experience with the Hagen glo electronic ballast light kit. I can't find pics online to find out how that is going to fit on my tanks.

I just bought a Beamswork LED from Canadian Aquatics, and after one day of use, I think I like it. It's cheap, and shipping isn't much when bought in a group order. I doubt shipping on it would be much, anyway - they can just wrap it and throw it in the mail.

Yeah lee valley comes with mounting + reflector, but the power cord is separate for 2 bucks. You could easily build yourself a simple, slick looking wooden or plastic canopy if you really wanted, I have too many projects on the go myself.

I just set mine on top of the tank, making sure the light bulb itself is not resting on anything. I have one set on a piece of glass alone and the other set where the old hood light used to go.

Edited by Sierra