New Planted Tank

38dodge

Ok, have freed up my 55 gallon tank and thinking on setting it up as a planted Discus tank.

Would like toi keep it as a "low light" tank, any suggestions on plants that will thrive under these conditions

would be greatly appretiated.

Java fern, Anubias spp. most swords and Valisneria will all grow to decent sizes in al "low light" tank.

java fern, there are lots of different variates

marimo moss balls(Japanese moss ball)

dwarf chain sword(pigmy chain sword,micro sword)

anubias, lots of different variates

Jungle Val,grows really big

wendtii, bronze is easy,others probably are hardy aswell

moss, lots of different variates

Edited by Sprucegruve

Fancy substrates are HIGHLY overrated, IMO. Tho, they seem to be gaining popularity again. Most plants take nutrients thru the leaves, and those that are root feeders just need some root tabs and/or clay balls under them. I'm a huge fan of playsand - great color and cheap! Or stop by a sand blasting place and pick from a few colors. I've used garnet and a more coarse silica sand (Sil8 or 9) are great choices, too.

I have done a few planted tanks and noticed that when I used florite yes it was very messy at first. I also used playsand. I didnt fint it to be much different then eachother just make sure you get reall clean sand bfore putting it in your tank or it will look like chocolate milk lol.

Between the 2 different substraits I used I only ever noticed a differance when I added co2. With newer plants added at the begining stages the co2 helped the flourish alot and fast! But once they took off I turned the c02 off and the grew healthy without it after the tank was mature. So I didnt think the substrait mattered at all it was the c02 that made the differance.

With low light plants though they dont reall require much at all so if co2 is added is great but still not a must.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I ended up going with playsand and florite mixture. Placed some fert tabs in proximity of the plants.

Can you keep us updated with pictures?? I'd love to see your progress compared to my planted tanks with pure specialized planted substrate. Could you take a picture tomorrow and then update every week or so? That'd be great :D

Fancy substrates are HIGHLY overrated, IMO. Tho, they seem to be gaining popularity again. Most plants take nutrients thru the leaves, and those that are root feeders just need some root tabs and/or clay balls under them. I'm a huge fan of playsand - great color and cheap! Or stop by a sand blasting place and pick from a few colors. I've used garnet and a more coarse silica sand (Sil8 or 9) are great choices, too.

Any suggestions where in Edmonton to get blasting media suitable for a planted tank?

O