Silicone And Rocks

jamesbarr

hey all,

looking for some ideas for the 36 tal that I just relined today. I was thinking about siliconing a cave together with various rocks and putting a kind of pot on top for some kind of plant that would otherwise take over the tank if not controlled. I thought that it would make piece to surround by vals or some other tall plant so you would see the contained plant mixed in the tall and the cave in the midst in the back corner of the tank.

so the reason that I thought Id write about it is to get some feed back about the type of adhesive to use. The only aquarium safe stuff I know of is silicone. but it seems that it may be a pain to get it to hold fast enough to get it all together.

Has anyone got any experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks for that help :)

silicone.

funny you mentioned this. I've started a thread to solve your problem. http://albertaaquati...showtopic=36149

Search google for super glue in an aquarium environment. I've read stories about people using it for such things.

quick note: if you use silicon and the set time is longer...use a form for your creative display until it holds. Even crumple up some newspaper and use tape to create the perfect form your looking for.

Edited by ckmullin

I've used silicone to attach my rocks together and make caves. Works ok but even the clear silicone turns white after a while of being in the tank and can look a bit bad. So I wouldn't suggest slathering on a ton of silicone. I made my caves so they mostly stood on their own anyways. The silicone was just to tack the piece together so I didn't have much that was visible, but the silicone there is turned an opaque whitish color. Not the prettiest. A solution for this might be to put sand onto the silicone before it dries so it looks nicer and more natural.

I think there is also an aquarium epoxy that salt people use to glue live rock and stuff. Its probably more expensive then silicon.

Crazy glue is aquarium safe but I dont' think it would really work to glue a rock cave together.

sorry ahead of time...4 photos

i used this stuff (photo below),works on rock/rock or wood/rock(its aquarium safe)

DSC00560.jpg

this was one of my projects

DSC00547.jpg

DSC00546.jpg

DSC00650.jpg

it says to wait 72 hours before putting it in water...i waited 5-6 days just to be safe

Edited by Sprucegruve