Couple of weeks ago and kill off most of the Frys

He eventually to me about the Frys

I have manage to keep only 12 Frys alive

Brine shrimp not hatching for some reason

They are 19 days old

If anybody in Edmonton can help me out it would be great

Good thing I know a little to keep Frys from dying

Now I'm running out off food :(

I have a few starter cultures going. Just spring me a couple bux, as I'm going to need to get some oatmeal soon. I work at WEM and live in Sherwood Park, whichever is more convenient for you.

I work at WEM and live in Sherwood Park, whichever is more convenient for you.

Brine shrimp should hatch and be harvested in around 24 hours in my experience with them. At 5 days they'd be mush unless you are actually feeding them?

In any case, one thing I would suggest is looking at some golden pearls in smaller sizes. You don't HAVE to raise them on live foods (although at least a partial diet is best).

Hit up fairdeal (Harold) if you are interested in some. I believe he has them in the infusoria size (which you will want for them for the first week or two roughly) and then the larger 'brine shrimp' size. Sorry, I don't remember the micron size of these, just my rule of thumb sizes. Vince usually can pipe in with the technical sizes.

I use these foods to raise fry whenever I don't have time to keep live cultures going, or just have an accident with my live cultures. They are also excellent supplements to live foods, providing some of the requried nutrition for the fry.

As with anything be careful of overfeeding and polluting the fry tank of course.

good luck with your baby bettas!

Dan

if your replying to my 5 day...I said within...I did not say @ day 5. two very different things. At 5 days with no hatching I'd trash the batch and start anew.

in my years of hatching, it is rare to have hatch around 24 hrs. typical is the 2 - 2.5 day mark. in my experience @ 5 days they will not be mush.

BUT different situations will cause different hatching times.

Edited by ckmullin

I agree with DanG on this one as I'm finding more success with dry foods in the the fry's early days. Have had issues with ammonia burn when I'm using microworms for the betta fry.

• 2 weeks later...

if your replying to my 5 day...I said within...I did not say @ day 5. two very different things. At 5 days with no hatching I'd trash the batch and start anew.

in my years of hatching, it is rare to have hatch around 24 hrs. typical is the 2 - 2.5 day mark. in my experience @ 5 days they will not be mush.

BUT different situations will cause different hatching times.

Sorry, been away and didn't see your response to me. I harvest every 24 hours, have in all my years of hatching brine shrimp. I like to feed every day so prefer the 24 hour hatch out, as I'd have to run multiple hatcheries otherwise. Somewhere around here are pics of my hatchery, but it is really just a simple 2 litre bottle suspended upside down, air line through the bottom siliconed in place, with a 25 watt bulb about 2-3 inches from the side. I use 3 tablespoon pickling salt, with 1/4 teaspoon (i think? it is the smallest measurment on my measruing spoon set) of brine shrimp eggs.

Typically within 48-56 hours they will all be dead, so I'd say we are definetely using different methodology. But whatever works for you, stick with it.

I use grade A from http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/ . I brought back a case of them, the last time I drove back to Calgary from our house in Arizona, for Dave at the Calgary Aquarium Society so anyone who has been buying them from Dave is using the same eggs as I am.

I like the small size of the just hatched brine shrimp, and typically will double sieve to get the smallest possible to feed to newly hatched fry.

Again though, I'd highly recommend getting golden pearls in the various small sizes to cover off feeding. I also like to add a cherry shrimp and a small snail to clean up any excess food.