Rocks From All Around?

cainechow

Try to do an acid test on them before putting them in your tank. If you put a few drops of acid on the rock an it bubbles, chances are it'll raise your pH and/or hardness.

You may want to boil or bake them as well if you're taking them out of a water source, just to kill any FW grubblies.

You'd need to emmerse at least part of the rock in vinegar and watch for tiny bubbles. The best is strong acids - you can get HCl at pool supply stores under the name muric or muriatic acid.

I tend to run any "field" rocks through the dishwasher. It beats scrubbing them and does a better job too.

My dad works at a gravel pit, and the owners don't care if I pick some rocks out of the grass because the big equipment can't get it out of the grass anyways. They have over 20 kinds of rock piles, and I can take anything from the regular gravel pile that goes to the crusher for gravel roads. Nice rocks, but boy are they dirty...

Hey ckmullin,

Just had a question where do you find these nice rocks in k country. Just wondering because a buddy and me are going to go up in the next week or so to train. It'd be sweet if I could bring a couple back. That is if it's not covered in snow lol

Try to do an acid test on them before putting them in your tank. If you put a few drops of acid on the rock an it bubbles, chances are it'll raise your pH and/or hardness.

You may want to boil or bake them as well if you're taking them out of a water source, just to kill any FW grubblies.

I've seen personally rocks that bubble with less than 5 ml of vinegar dripped on it. Use your eyes BUT also use your ears. If it sounds like that fizz/pop rock candy they used to sell years back...then there is a reaction.

Hey ckmullin,

Just had a question where do you find these nice rocks in k country. Just wondering because a buddy and me are going to go up in the next week or so to train. It'd be sweet if I could bring a couple back. That is if it's not covered in snow lol

Down hwy 66 or hwy 40. Just make sure you test when your there. I'd hate to send you on a wild goose chase as I'm sure everything is covered. Especially down hwy 40.

I've used the vinegar test and my rocks 'failed'. I really loved the shape and look of them so I researched them on the internet to find that they were in fact safe for the aquarium and my bubbling was most likely from organics or soils on the surface of them. Scrub them really good or use lots of vinegar to clean and test them. Also be careful as the surface could be porous causing small bubbles at first until they are filled.

RebelThunder hit the nail on the head: Always boil them.

I've used the vinegar test and my rocks 'failed'. I really loved the shape and look of them so I researched them on the internet to find that they were in fact safe for the aquarium and my bubbling was most likely from organics or soils on the surface of them. Scrub them really good or use lots of vinegar to clean and test them. Also be careful as the surface could be porous causing small bubbles at first until they are filled.

RebelThunder hit the nail on the head: Always boil them.

very true. what might be good to counter act that is throw the rock in a pail of water. let it soak up the water first so it won't absorb any more liquid then give the acid test a try. ( of course an old toothbrush in your back pocket would be perfect for that quick scrub)