I Think Excel Kills Najas

jvision

I bought some Metricide to try out on my large tank, and took the last of my Excel to work. In both tanks, I only have Anubias, Java fern and Najas guadalupensis, and in both tanks the Najas seems to be disappearing. I am dosing per instructions (Metricide is being dosed 1/2 the Excel dose) and the Anubias is doing great.

Anybody else see signs that Excel might hinder the growth of Najas?

Yep, I've had some issues with najas and excel. Also with elodea and vals. I have najas and elodea in my shrimp tank and every time I dose with excel my najas starts loosing its leaves and the elodea goes yellowy and dies. Thats at the regular dose on the bottle and even less.

I know of this also, same here.

I don't see on this forum...perhaps a tread should be started with such info...what people have found grows well with excel (glutaradehyde) and what does not. One nice big post that will gather all added info in the topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have experience w. excel and other fine-leaved plants like hornwort?

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, I've had some issues with najas and excel. Also with elodea and vals. I have najas and elodea in my shrimp tank and every time I dose with excel my najas starts loosing its leaves and the elodea goes yellowy and dies. Thats at the regular dose on the bottle and even less.

I am so glad you said that because those are the 2 plants (najas and elodea) I could not get to prosper and survive. I thought more excel should help them...but it didn't help. However I'm sure there will be other casualties as I expand my plant knowledge...