Algae Removal Tips

Maxwell

I have (had) a pretty 5 lb white and brown rock (Big Als) that has accumulated a green algae on the surface. During my water change I took it out and scrubbed it with a dish detergent solution followed by a vinegar and then water rinse. It removed about 75% of the green stuff.

I wondering if there is a better solution,home made formula that might be more effective and safer once I get fish in there since that method could be detrimental to any livestock. Any suggestions for unsightly algae removal would be appreciated

If it is JUST rock...nothing else I will put it in the oven for a couple hundred degrees. An hour or so and everything is cooked. Give a scrub afterwards and things should fall off.

Just my 2c

Edited by ckmullin

bn pleco, sae, otocinclus, even suitable inverts are counter-measures that would add to your tank community and health (while reducing wrinkly fingers).

edit: once you get fish in your tank

Edited by Fisher

If it is JUST rock...nothing else I will put it in the oven for a couple hundred degrees. An hour or so and everything is cooked. Give a scrub afterwards and things should fall off.

Just my 2c

Reminds of when camping when we were kids. We would pull water logged rocks out of the creek and throw them in the fire. One in four would explode.

Just my 2c

Reminds of when camping when we were kids. We would pull water logged rocks out of the creek and throw them in the fire. One in four would explode.

Yeah, wouldn't reccomend putting wet rocks into the oven. Those things can fly and make some crazy noise.

Give $5 for the eager beaver kid on your block and say you want it crystal clean. No more worries for you.

Just my 2c

Yeah, wouldn't reccomend putting wet rocks into the oven. Those things can fly and make some crazy noise.

Done many times, with no harm. Never had any issues. :) The purpose isn't to make the rock glowing red but to heat sufficiently to kill bacteria and parasite. (in this case any algae too) You want to sterilize things, the oven, i've always found is the best.

For hobbiests who also have a green thumb...you can easily sterilize soil for your seed, again works like a charm. :)

I just get rid of algae using Nerite snails and a toothbrush. I hate those brushes they sell in the stores, they're too big and I end up slashing water everywhere. Tried a toothbrush, and it scrubbed the algae off easy peasy! :)

• 2 weeks later...

you may want to consider the length of time you leave your lights on. Algea thrives when there is plenty of light and nutrients.

I would just do w/c once a week and start to tinker with your light timer a bit. If you dont want to do that, I would say that previous biological attacks are good options. Inverts (mts, zebra snails, shrimp) or bottom suckers (pleco, ottos) would be my first thoughts. I have some plecos and I see them sucking on stones all the time. I dont think they are thirsty :P

Im against baking or bleaching because the gravel has good bacteria on it that help to maintain your chemistry. Do something agressive like baking or w/e and you will have to start the substrate all over. Not to mention the potential of residual bleach inside your gravel leaching into your tank. In my opinion its probably better to find out why the algea is there in the first place and deal with that rather than treat the symptom and have to do it again in a few months.

Just my thoughts on the subject :)

You can get an army of snails, they clean my rocks nicely, also you can get a hill stream loach, they feed on algae. Some shrimp also will go for it. This is a natural long term solution. Also if your tank is heavily planted algae has less nutrients to develop and grow.