Apistogramma Cacatuoides Eggs!

dan11

Hi, last Sunday at the CAS spring auction, I bought a pair of orange flash apistogramma cacatuoides, although the male looks more like a double red than an orange flash. Anyways, I don't really care as they're both beautiful fish, and today they laid eggs! Of course they laid them on the side of the flowerpot! They can never make it easy, can they? Anyways, I can't get any pictures right now, as they're behind some plants, but I'll get some once they go free swimming. They are in my 135 gallon community tank, and that is where they'll stay. There is enough plant cover that the parents can easily defend the fry, and enough places for the fry to hide. Plus, I hardly have any bottome feeders, so it's not going to be very hard for the parents... In a few minutes I'll start another thread showing my female apistogramma eunotus with all her fry, in the same tank. The video was taken a couple of months ago, and the female actually died at some point, however many of the fry lived, and I see them all the time now, and there is at least 6, about an inch long, so I am thinking my cacatuoides should hopefully have some success with their fry!

IME, both spp will spawn in city water w/o any adjusting (dechlor, of course)

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely! I won't forget. BTW, I moved them to their own 35 gallon bare bottom. They gave me some eggs 2 days ago. I took the male out, and the female ate them! Think I'm gonna just steal the next batch. However, my sights are currently set on raising about 40 Electric Blue ram fry. That is what all my efforts are going towards right now. They are about 2 weeks old free-swimming. Also, the apistogramma Eunotus pair you gave me have lots of fry. The female died at some point while defending the fry, but surprisingly about 8 of them made it. They are about an inch now, and won't get eaten. I just recently identified my first male!