When To Cull Angelfish Fry And How

heatherw2

I have almost one month old blue pearlscale/ platinum fry and I would say one third have very stubby/ one to no ventral fins

They were not bellysliders and are very healthy but would like to know if they still have a chance to grow them in or should I cull those ones and if so how?

That would be a difficult thing to do so humanely whats the best way.

If you'll be culling them as feeders, you probably don't want them getting much more than 1".

Whenever I have to put a fish down, I always use the "clove oil" method. A few drops of clove oil in a container with the fish and aquarium water and its done quite quickly.

^^^^^

this is the best method in my opinion,painless.

i also go one step further and after they are sedated,i put them in the freezer for a couple hours,then throw them away

some people dont like feeding live food,and would rather have the fry die with no pain(clove oil)

for anyone that doesent care about feeding fish to other fish go ahead and throw the fry in with a predator

Thanks,

I have used the clove oil method, seperating approximately 100 from 300 fry should be a challenge.

From what I was reading there seems to be a genetic defect with the pearlscales, I have three female blue pearlscales and two have platinum partners and one has a double black partner, I have had at least a quarter of the fry have this problem, at least they were not huge batches of fry with those ones.

I have a gold marble pair that always produce perfect fry.

Does thisa mean the blue pearl females are not good for mating or am I going to run into this problem with any pearlscale angels?

You could set up an oddball tank or find someone who does. My community tank has lots of oddball/damaged fish and they tend to *coughs* handle any reproduction problems. Wished you lived up here, I'd take them. Good luck.

Thats a good idea but angelfish do take up lots of room and I have 20 already that are two months old that I have to deal with.

Im waiting to be able to see the month old fry better since the smaller ones swim with their ventral fins close by their side and its hard to tell yet which ones need culling.but thankyou for the advice.