Revamping A 75G Column, Update With Pics

So I have narrowed down the multitude of choices to either pool filter sand or playsand, (suggestions, pros, cons) with MTS and possibly a few assassins at a later date to help control the population, pick up some Flourish (only have 2 regular fluorescent bulbs in lid) to help promote plant growth, going with Java Fern, Chain Sword, Cryptocoryne, Anubias, and Riccardia Chamedryfolia (new moss) this gorgeous carpet like plant that is probably going to be hard to find, stocking options in this tank are corys (variety of them), neons, rummy noses, 1 dwarf gourami, dwarf plecos, rasboras, WCM, and am trying to decide between S/A dwarf cichlids/ aphistos or African dwarf cichlids, trying to set up a plan beforehand so I don't screw up (like I did with guppies :blush: )

or perhaps some suggestions for stocking as well, please share your ideas whether yea or nay

Adding again to this sorry...but was thinking for fish, 1 breeding pair of aphistos due to limited bottom space with my cory fetish and say a breeding trio of yellow convicts, is this doable? Pretty much a newb outside of live bearers...thanks again

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

If your starting brand spanking new...I'd suggest a enriched substrate as a base layer. (suggestions can be given if wanted) In that bottom layer put what magic you want then for the top cap, pool sand. For the top cap I would suggest to not to have the fine fine sand but a bit more coarse (still though not talking about gravel...just coarse sand) Everytime that I've worked with sand I have mixed a couple different sizes of sand (more smaller size diameter than larger) in order to help stop a big cloud of the fine fine sand get into the water column after any change or cleaning. For me, this has worked and I continue the practice. I also think the variation of size adds eye appeal.

Have fun, it's going to be a blast!!

Edited by ckmullin

Hmmm mixing sands sounds pretty cool not sure about putting dirt under though plants in dirt tend to die on me lol might have to look into it really want to look in the tank and see a background of greenery to offset the fishes

1/2 bag of Sil8 or 9 would be good for a coarse sand. I use playsand in most of my tanks (Quickrete from HD is the cleanest in Edm), and it works great.

I would only spot feed the Crypts, as the rest of the plants you're planning for don't really need root feeding. A couple root tabs or clay balls will do the trick.

Read up on the laterite and thinking might do that in a smaller tank as I will be converting all my tanks over eventually lol BUTTTTT I got the quikrete sand :D and will be spot feeding the plants now just have to catch the fishy in the first tank and move them over -05- so I can put in and start decorating EEEEE is excited!

some good info on there: http://www.thekrib.c...r/laterama.html

and another-> http://fins.actwin.c...2/msg00335.html

...and.... http://home.infinet.net/teban/jamie.htm

In this last link take a look @ laterite in the table...why it's so good for fe. With that, go over to the play sand heading. After viewing those #'s (which is typical) you can see why it's not ideal for having a planted tank with just play sand.

Edited by ckmullin

I would reconsider the yellow convicts. They are probably too aggressive, mine hold their own in my 230 gallon south/central cichlid tank. I would stick with apistos or perhaps Badis badis or Dario dario.

I agree that playsand alone isn't great for heavy root feeders like swords, Crypts and Anubias (once their roots reach the substrate, they can really take off); but, having cheaped out on substrate for the last 12yrs or so, I definitely don't think you need to spend a bunch in special plant substrates. Check out my journal thread on my 120 g planted. All of that is grown in playsand mixed w some black sand, and a few clay balls pushed in under the Crypts and Swords.

Just keep CO2 and ferts up, as pretty much every aquatic plant can take in nutrients thru the leaves.

I have the yellows in right now with some danios, swordtails, platies,pleco and rummynoses they chade them out of the caves but but so far thats it, also saw them listed as lemon lime cichlids? But the only fish im worried about with them is my corys once i get them established in the 75 and they start spawning, havent seen anything online about their compatibility with my various corys (paleatus,albino, bronze,green and golden ear)

• 3 weeks later...

So finally got the sand, plants, caves and wood in (75% fresh water, 25% water from other tank), ran it for 3 days with just the bubble curtain in back and the MTS waiting for the sand to settle, turned on the filter and had it running for 2 days, unfortunately my filter on the other 75G had an incident where it stopped running again :eh: (thinking motor might be shot as smoke was coming out of the propeller area when took the top off) so had to add the fish into the tank a lil early (ammonia was between 0-0.25 :( ) and boy howdy are they stirring everything up in the tank, as a Plus my female crypto nanaluteas dug a sand pit in front of the coconut hut :w00t: and the corys are going nuts wiggling around thinking they are at fault for the murkiness/cloudy tank right now, So currently the tank has a 36" bubble curtain, 1-40W T8 Power-glo, 1-40w T8 Marine-glo (hubby bought wrong bulbs) Fluval 404, Hydor Pond 1 pond filter, 55lbs quik-crete play sand, chain sword, pygmy chain sword, cambomba, corkscrew val, glossostigma, hornwort, something that was sold to me as Hygrophilia, a broad leaf twig like plant that thinking is some sort of Crypt, soon to have some java fern and anubias. Fishy: 30 asst corydoras, 1 cryptohero nanaluteas (F), 15 Rummynose, 3 dwarf Gouramis, 6 glo-lines, 4 neons, 6 platies, 10 Swordtails, 1 clown pleco, 1 orange/common pleco hybrid. Will try to post some pics after the sand settles down again :hey:

dunno if the case here but fine suspended sand can be go up the intake into the filter. it potentially can cause a propeller issue

if the water is so much murky with suspended solids use a hob filter and use a piece of paper towel. the towel will have to be changed every couple hrs but anytime I've done a revamp the hob/paper towel combo is used.

I know it's been said before but once those Convicts grow up a little bit you are going to wake up to dead fish in DROVES. My Jack Dempsey can barely stand up to my breeding convicts which are half his size, live bearers and Cory's won't stand a chance. Best of luck with them!

EDIT: let's see some pics!

Edited by jeremoose

Yellow Convicts are like a nickname for these fish, the cryptohero nanaluteas aka lemon lime cichlid, isnt as aggressive as its cousin the regular convict and can be kept with small to medium livebearers, these ones I have I talked to the man that was breeding them and said he kept with corys without issue other than some chasing away from the spawn site, he is an etremely reliable source so I believe him :-D have to delete some before can post pics and cant from my phone

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl