Uaru

rompergoddess

Okay, so I have "inherited" this big boy, and he now runs my 33 gallon tank! Of course, once again, I fall for a smart fish that just LOVES my plants GRRRRR!

So, has anyone any ideas on how to keep him happy and fed up enough to stop him from eating my plants? I have been cruising the NET to find info on him, and it isn't as helpful as I had hoped for.

Any help or direction would really be appreciated! I have read that he or she should really be with others of his or her kind, in order to be happy. I am seriously hoping that info is wrong.

Hoping for help....

~~Ronni

Edited by rompergoddess

I have tried blanched zuchinni, spinach, green beans, lettuce, and even tried strawberries, he won't eat anything but flake and frozen blood worms or brine shrimp. I did however discover that he really likes shrimp!

Tried my hand at researching because I liked the name :) and saw in 2 out of 3 sites that they can eat your plants to the root but one site suggested Duckweed for their plant craving and java fern/moss they don't like, can't hurt to try it, http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/cichlid/UaruCichlid.php but did say shouldn't be kept singly, sorry

I'm pretty sure the fish called Uaru is Uaru uaru - often refered to poor man's discus.

I have both, chocolate cichlid and an Uaru. They are both beautiful fish. Both of them would park their butt in front of an all day veggie buffet! Neither species is plant safe ...