Always An Auction Format?

i like that idea. IMO the auction can take a lot of time and that would be a reason why some people would skip out. If you could come in and wander I think that would be nice. Maybe it could become a two day event with the more typical stuff on tables for sale and the more rare items up for bid....

Whatever the case, I like it. 2nded :)

I would like a sale for say 3 hours, with asking prices by the owner. What is not scooped up goes to auction at 1:00. I don't mind paying a going hobyist rate, i just hate wasting all day for certain items. And no a bump isn't always practable way to do it.

Yip. These ideas are what I was thinking as well.

I would have attended myself but could not stay until the end, so I decided just not to go. I'm sure i'm not the only one. A 2 part event would I believe have more of a dynamic relationship amongst the people than just a sit down aucttion.. With tables at least for part of the time, there is more of a 'meet and greet', talking sort of atmosphere than a hush auction.

I've been the the Calgary Rock and Gem show a while and always impressed by their format. (more of a table event)

yeah for sure, would give a newer person (like me) a chance to talk to someone that keeps what you are buying. I know that I wouldnt have purchased a couple of plants I got this year had I known what they would require, or at least would have known what I needed to get in order to do it right.

so what I am wondering is how or who is able to present an idea like this to ACE or the Calgary club?

so what I am wondering is how or who is able to present an idea like this to ACE or the Calgary club?

It is my understanding that at least one board member from Calgary Aquarium Society is a member here. Since this website is a sponsor of that society and since this part of AA is in regards to CAS, I'd expect on some level these topics to be monitored. I would at least assume that, in practice, no idea.

You had brought another idea out of my skull. Sellers of plants perhaps can do little info sheets on the plants they sell. It would not need to be a huge writeup but perhaps the basic 'best suited for' conditions along with the scale of beginner, intermediate or advanced. That info could even just be written on the plastic bags. Perhaps with something like this in place it would have helped with those 2 purchases and again perhaps helped you purchase other plants!

I would like a sale for say 3 hours, with asking prices by the owner. What is not scooped up goes to auction at 1:00. I don't mind paying a going hobyist rate, i just hate wasting all day for certain items. And no a bump isn't always practable way to do it.

I think this would be a pretty good idea, a 2 day event might be too much in terms of organization or getting enough people to attend both days, but somethingl ike this would get everything done in one day and could streamline aspects of it.

hey guys,

think you've got some interesting ideas but you should be taking this to the CAS executive meeting. Our last event was a 2 day event with a speaker on the Saturday and the auction on the sunday. We could do tables on the saturday but would need your help on this. As we are all volunteers, we could always use more hands. Next executive meeting is April 24th so please bring your ideas as well as how to implement this too. Hope to see you there!!

I understand what you're all saying about the table atomsphere and all, but...

The CAS Show and Auction is a really awesome fundraiser for the club, it allows the club to be able to bring in speakers and pay for the spaces that we use as a club, etc.

There are a lot of logistics to think about when considering new formats. ;)

I understand what you're all saying about the table atomsphere and all, but...

The CAS Show and Auction is a really awesome fundraiser for the club, it allows the club to be able to bring in speakers and pay for the spaces that we use as a club, etc.

There are a lot of logistics to think about when considering new formats. ;)

It could still be done in the same format as the auction in terms of the club getting money, a certain % of sales could still go towards the club

There are a lot of logistics to think about when considering new formats.

In my experience, volunteers become extremely scarce when it comes to actually implementing them...

It could still be done in the same format as the auction in terms of the club getting money, a certain % of sales could still go towards the club

Would you charge every seller a fee for a table? Or try to track sales and take a percentage? I think most sellers would say, "screw that!" and continue to sell their stuff in the classifieds, or make deals on the side to avoid the costs.

I do guarantee no volenteers will be had when people

Next executive meeting is April 24th so please bring your ideas as well as how to implement this too.

I know I'm not going to be presenting anything...so if people care about the topic that was started, I leave it to them.

Simply have lots etc just like the regular format, but have a price on the item. If a person wants to pay the asking price prior to the auction they simply pick it up, hit the cashier, the CAS gets their cut, the seller gets their money, The sellers can ask a bit higher price or the buyer can roll the dice that I don't scoop it first.