Betta And Fin Rot

nanmer

My Betta seem to get fin rot quite easily. I am puzzled as to why this is occurring. I do water changes every 3 days, feed them a well varied diet, water temp is 72-76 (depending on location). Research shows it is a water quality issue. With a complete water change every three days, I assume this is sufficient. The only thing I can think of is to raise the temp but this will be difficult to do as they are individually housed. Betta barracks are planned with much larger accommodation than the ones I have researched and much warmer temp. It is handy having a hubby that is a plumber!

Any suggestions as to what I am missing???

I have been able to cure it with little problem. I just want it to stop! lol

My big red guy, Elton, is the latest victim, just when I was conditioning him to breed!

Fin rot for Betta's is so incredibly common. It's generally caused by poor water conditions or exposure to toxins. Make sure you are using betta water conditioner for the water changes you are doing. In an uncycled tank for bettas the exposure to ammonia and nitrate can be quiet usual. So chances are if you have an uncycled tank it's going to be recurring forver unless you have a filtered tank system for them. If your bettas are having a severe fin rot problem where half of their fins dissapear at a time medication is available. However, in order for the fin rot to permanently stop you will need a filtered tank for them which can be expensive since bettas are generally not community fish. But, in that case there are tank dividers and such to use. Hope this was helpful and good luck!

Edited by Chatty_Platy

What sort of betta is it ?? if its a halfmoon or is a halfmoon x whatever ,thats your problem.

Back when I was breeding bettas ,the halfmoons would always get finrot to some extent. Same with my HM doubletails ,HM plakats ,Giant HM's ,and all that jazz.

Sadly most of my breeding stock has been sold off or died ,so now I just have a single pair left. The female is a halfmoon ,who as figures ,was always fighting mild fin rot.

Finally I got tired of it and just tossed the both of them into my planted community tank. Everything got fixed up and they now live happily with about 15 other fish of all species.

Its the long fins that fist set them up for trouble ,it makes then prone to fin rot just having the long fins ,and if its a halfmoon its just "double trouble" for lack of better words.

Edit : Betta water conditioner = sneaky marketing scheme. I use Prime for all my fish ,fresh and saltwater ,and it works fine for everything.

Edited by polleni-puffer

Edit : Betta water conditioner = sneaky marketing scheme. I use Prime for all my fish ,fresh and saltwater ,and it works fine for everything.

I don't believe all betta water conditioners are a scam. If you are only using it for Bettas and nothing else why not buy it besides the benefits used in it are specifically trageted to healing skin wounds and reduce inflamation of damaged tissue. Yes using Prime is good for all fish and not specific but when targeting only one breed of fish buy the specific. I would use API brand of betta conditioner because it has extra ingredients that brands like Top Fin and Nutrafin don't have (These are the scams). Also the API brand has green tea extract which includes healthy antioxidents for your bettas.

I speak from experience when I say that I have not noticed anythign between water conditioners ,but I've never done any fancy tests to check which one is best for bettas. I mean what do I know though. Its not like I've bred bettas for 3+ years and kept/bred all the fin types available with stock from out east ,locally ,and imported from thailand...Prime is my choice of conditioner ,and serves me fine for all my bettas ,from the smallest fry to the oldest adult ,from the hardiest 5 star plakat fighter to the finicky halfmoon plakat giants. :)

Also you you want fancy tea leave extracts ,just use almond leaves.

Also nanmer ,there's your problem. They are halfmoons :P Move them into a filtered heated tank in godspeed and they should be fully healed with 2 weeks. Halfmoons really need the heat and filtered water to stay in prime condition.

Also you you want fancy tea leave extracts ,just use almond leaves.

Why buy extra stuff when I can buy one single solitary betta conditioner that has everything in one? That's what I'm saying. I'd rather just buy that stuff which has everything in one bottle. But because I do my research for different brands I know that you are right about some of them being scams but like I said the API brand is what I find to work best for bettas. That's just what works best for me.

whats cheeper using one product for all tanks?or using fish specific conditioners?

prime(2L $36.99) + 100 almond leaves($10-$12)

or buying prime(2L $36.99)+ betta conditioner 37ml ($4.49)

realisticly the bag of leaves will last ten times longer than the bottle of betta conditioner,seems more expensive for the same results to use betta conditioner.

just my opinion

different views on different subjects as there are shades of paint

High tech or all natural, both are good in different situations. I don't have betta's however if I did, I'd give both a try and let the results guide me to what to use in the future.

Thanks for all the help. I now have all the materials to provide filtration for all my bettas. I have almond leaves, will put it in the sump. Hopefully the little guys will be living the good life by Sunday!

Yes, my halfmoons are the ones in trouble. Looks like I will be building the barracks sooner than later!

I'd love to swap barracks designs if you have one planned out.

For now it is a simple system. Pump delivers water to top tank which drains into lower tank, which drains into lower tank, which drains into sump. It is up an running but I still have a lot of tweeking to do.