Plywood tank

Majestic_Aquariums

It's been awhile since this has been mentioned here, but I keep on seeing BEAUTIFUL projects on other forums. This is a back-burner type thing for me, I want to get the SW thing going way before I get into this. Maybe in a year or so.

You could combine the UGJ into an awesome fake rock background and substrate, with ledges and the works!

I wish I knew how to post pics. as I have found an awesome tank someone on CF did, you can't tell the difference between his background/substrate and real rock.

Most-likely want to go large on the tank-maybe 96 X 34 X 34. 480 gal. but you would most-likely loose 125 gal. with the rockwork.

Anyone else think of doing one of these tanks? It never really interested me before, but would be a beautiful Cichlid tank.

I thought about it once, but never got around to it. There's a guy in Winterpeg that goes by "The Mighty Brian" on CF - he builds them for his club members.

He'd be a good guy to bounce ideas off.

Cool! You should give this a try Darcy!

You do realize you will be my one friend the wife will never want to meet, right?

Especially as I still have that glass from that dismantled 75 here? :lol:

From what I understand, the costs are justified once you go over the 100 gallon mark. The nice thing about them is that if you keep the height down, it doesn't really matter how long or wide you make the tank (long as it is constructed properly....)

Now that's a cool idea...going all the way from the background to the bottom of the tank. I like how my cichlids dig in the sand, but this would be good for those fish that don't dig.

That looks wicked! I also saw an article somewhere on CF (DIY) that showed you how to make a plywood aquarium and if I'm not mistaken there was enough material to build 2 large aquariums. Not a project I'd do myself but if a guy had a partner 2 heads are better than one and so are 2 aquariums.

Would be cool to try. I bet it isn't too hard to do, either. Just a few bucks, time, and patience.

I would like to have all the back and bottom pre-plumbed for UGJ and overflows, so that could make it a bit of a pain to fit the rockwork around.

I bet a person could do a large tank for under $500 inc. glass, plywood, and fiberglass.

Plumbing, concrete, styrofoam...

It all adds up I guess. Would be a unique look though.

Got a link to the plans?

All the tanks I had in Malawi were plywood, and there are a ton of people in the SAS (Saskatoon Aquarium Society) that have been building plywood tanks for years. They've all been using a marine epoxy (that I believe is also made in Saskatoon) with no problems whatsoever. As soon as I finally get settled somewhere I know that I'll be building a bunch of plywood tanks (probably all 96x24x24 to maximize plywood sheets). From what I've heard from the guys in Saskatoon, they'll usually get a bunch of people together and have a bit of a building and painting weekend and knock out a bunch of tanks at once (making it the most productive and least costly). Froggie would be a good one to talk to as he's an SAS member.