Plywood tank

Majestic_Aquariums

Sounds like a good idea. Anyone wanna try a few? I really didn't want to get into this project till next year, but maybe sneek it in early fall one weekend.

It doesn't have to be 100% complete, but would be good to utilize the weather-got lots of lawn for space.

I can always look into the material cost, and factor in the cost/gal. divided up between a few people if that helps.

Lemme know-I may consider giving it a go sooner either way!

I found a really good deal on styrofoam for rockwork, and have all the concrete stuff. Hopefully the glass I have planned to buy would work, but if not get thicker stuff.

Hey Rob!

I found a couple of sources for West Systems epoxy that all the guys on Cichlid-Forum seem to rave about.

Alberta Plastics and Paint

2355 Pegasus Way NE #2

Calgary, AB

(403) 204-1923

Yacht Yard

Calgary, AB

(403) 291-9222

From what I hear, the stuff is expensive but well worth the $$$. Easy to use, and strong. Lots of the CF guys use this epoxy and sand as opposed to concrete for their DIY backgrounds.

Hope this helps!!

Doc_Polit B)

Thanks Doc! That is the stuff I am looking for. I want this thing SOLID, and will have to pre-plan and rough in the plumbing prior to applying the epoxy.

Should hopefully build the tank I need for $600 or so in materials. I would then hoopefully have some epoxy left I can sell off to someone else that wants to try one.

Will keep you up-dated!

I'll be doing a plywood/glass hybrid tank in the future so depending on what you have left over for epoxy, I may take it off your hands. My design is a bottom/back plywood with front and sides glass, in a 2 foot cube... just to give you an idea of what I'll need to cover - all of four square feet with a "solid" coat and the integrated canopy will need some too, so I'll plan for 6 square. It will basically boil down to two factors: a) my time and resources; b ) shelf life of the epoxy. Keep us all posted!

Hey Tanker! I am sure there will be enough to cover 6 sq. ft. I am planning on getting 2-5gal. pails of the stuff. I don't know exactly how long the shelf life will be, but would assume that it will be o.k. as long as the hardener hasn't been added. I really don't know yet, but would assume it will be like other epoxies I have worked with in the past-2 parts to activate.

You should consider getting down here when I do mine. I have to get the glass and epoxy from Calgary-might as well pick up glass and build 2!

I do need to get to Edmonton in the very near future, Darren @ AquaGiant was good enough to hold 2 24" X 72" pieces of 1/2" glass for me there too. Maybe that will be the 2nd tank to build?