Guppies...what On Earth Am I Doing!?

MrsFard

HI all, forgive my ignorance but... I was given free guppies last night.  In there tank were 4 enormously pregnant females and about 15 males (clearly the ratios where dead on).  I took 5 males to add to my two (they have arched backs a bit- is that poor breeding or inbreeding or the norm for that particular type of guppy?)and, I'm afraid the homeschool mom in me took over and I took two pregnant ones too (feel free to scoff at me.

I've attached a link to pics of the females, males and the little bowfront tank I have the females in (YES I know the decor in there is hideous- but its what I got and it was free).  The females are very stressed- and probably where their entire existence, they old owners said that they have been pregnant forever. do they look like they want to pop? how can I make them comfortable?

what kind of DIY contraption is best? put the females back into the big tank but in something that separates them from the rest of the fish and can also separate the fry out from the females? leave them in that ugly tank (my Husband will not be impressed if that tank stays up permanently.. so I have doubts if I will be keeping any females long-term), and somehow rig it to separate the fry (or females) out?

I googled it but, I wound up with more questions than answers....  any reliable links to the basics?

http://s1238.photobu...violet/guppies/ ( I am sorry for the lack of quality in the pics)

Edited by MrsFard

They look like average adult fancy female guppies to me. The albino one looks a bit swollen to me (maybe add some salt to the tank).

They don't even look that pregnant - the gravid spot gets really dark a couple of days before birth.

I just float a breeding trap with lots of circulation vents in the tank and drop the female in there a day or do before I think she is ready.

(http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3814565)

Then I just move the babies to a hanging net and release the mother.

Put lots of plants in the tank - live or plastic will work, it will give them somewhere to hide if they get really stressed and a place for fry to hide until larger.

Are you wanting fry? If yes do you want to save them all or do you want survival of the fittest? If it is survival of the fittest then let the females free swim and release their fry when they are ready and comfortable. THe quickest and smartest fry will survive-to help this add some java moss or riccia or guppygrass(all live) or some plastic plants that look like hornwort. These also help the female hide from the boys.

If you don't want fry at all then I would rehome the females and keep your males. As the ratio is way off with only 2 females and they will be stressed with so much male attention. Females guppies are forever pregnant as they store sperm for up to 6 month so even if you didn't have a male you still will get fry. The usual ratio is 2+ females for every male.

Your males look good- their tails are really nice and huge. Males with huge tails do have trouble swimming sometimes especially with strong currents. They can also have problems breeding as the females can swim away quicker and can evade the males. They also are at a disadvantage with other smaller tailed males as those are the ones that can breed easily with the females. That is one of the reasons that you keep fancy large tailed guppies with fancy guppies and normal guppies with normal guppies if you are looking to keep tail type.

Most of my guppies now are in the mid tailed to small tailed side of guppies. The larger tails have been bred away as my smaller tailed males got the females and my fancy boys were left out.

Good luck with your new guppies. Also welcome to the site.

Edited by Guppygirl

But I am glad that is sounds like I am just panicking :)

I really honestly cannot afford (things are TIGHT and I told my Husband I wouldn't spend on the tank -He'd be ok with pocket change but I'm surprised, and grateful, he is ok with me having one to begin with), to buy a breeding thing. I have been trying to find unwanted/unneeded fish things here and on kijiji :) (I know I horded and kept a TON before I sold it all that I would have given away had someone asked). I would like fry, not continually- but once or twice...(how do I word that correctly..?)?

is there a way to keep the females in the same tank (rig a divider or something)?

I think maybe I'd separate the fry out until I can get my hands on ricca/moss of sorts, if they come first. If it was well planted and the ratios right I could see it being ok for survival of the fittest but I have some pathetic plastic plants at this point.

Female livebearers can hold sperm for a few months I believe, so even if they're separated from the males, they may get preggers again. I think they should change the saying "breed like rabbits" to "breed like guppies" lol As long as a male is around, they're pretty much always pregnant. Being away from the males for awhile should help them relax. Being pestered for some action by a swarm of males is tiring lol

As for a net, if you can get a large net (used to scoop fish), you can bend it to hook on the side of the tank and put fry in it. I've done that before when I needed a net. Works pretty well.

The females are fine in the same tank. What exactly would you want them apart for? To save fry from the other females swooping in and snatching up freshly birthed fry? If yes, then a divider will cost about $10-$20? Not sure on the price.

Fry will hide anywhere they can, including in the nooks and cracks in the gravel. From what I can see from the tank, you should have a few survive. For your first time with fry, smaller numbers are less stressful to deal with. When you've got 40+ fry to deal with it gets kinda crazy lol Since they've been under stress (which may make them hold off on giving birth for awhile) putting them in a birthing net/box may stress them out more. I would just let them have their babies freely in the tank. It's super easy to get the pregnant again, so take things slow, and you'll get the hang of it. Fry are one of the most rewarding things in fish keeping :)

Edited by DragonNeko

Fry are more hardy than we give them credit for! I had 20+ fry survive living with several adults in a 10G tank. They are very interesting to watch grow and develope.

As for plants and having more if you are close to mayfield common the dollar store there carries fake plants 2 for a buck! That's pretty good pocket change to me :-)

And you can make floating plants with tem, just pull them off the stems and tie them together, that is what I used for floating plants in my tank with fry....

I just remembered. I've got a box full of fake plants and decor. If you can make it to Morinville you can rumage through the box and pick a few. If you can't make it out then maybe ee can pick a day to meet in the city and I'll bring the box of goodies.

Thanks for the offer of plants :) I stopped at a dollarstore and founds some 2/$1 like Niki mentioned :)

I was looking at the females today wondering if they were actually pregnant and my daughter just pointed out fry in the tank.. how do I keep them from dieing? I read egg yolk is good.

You're welcome, and if you ever need some more, just ask. I doubt I'll be able to sell them all this summer at a garage sale, and I don't mind giving a bunch away :)

I'm not sure about egg yolk, never heard that one before. I just threw in sinking pellets, and when they get really soft the fry dive in. I've seen molly fry play in it, it was hilarious! They would swim into it and make a mess lol

I have heard of the egg yolk thing, I never tried it but do know flake food crushed works great! I raised a batch of dry on flakes. I took a pinch and rubbed it between my fingers to make powder and they found it no problems. I even feed my adults the same way. I have 12 that survived selling/dying/adults/tradig and now there are a few females prego in the tank.

They pretty much raise themselves lol, I didn't do anything special really, usual water changes and daily feedigs...I think I may have fed them 2-3 times a day when they week a week old

You can raise the fry on egg yolk. It works well when you add fine crushed nls flakes too, balances out the proteins. It is very messy. Crafting mesh is cheap and can be sewing together to make a divider to escape the parents. once their big enough not to be swallowed you can pop them back into the other side. Humping is caused in most cases of healthy guppies from inbreeding. It will breed out into new fry most times. The 2 big females have some severe stress lines so it would be a good idea to separate for awhile. Good Luck.

I would stay away from the egg yolk as it really fouls up water and water conditioner costs more than flake food. Also because these are guppies they are big enough fry to eat just crushed up food.

For a cheap divider you can use a black plastic paper cover folder store and craft mesh (to add strength/sturdyness). Simply cut to sit tight and ziptie together. All 3 of those can be bought at the dollar store.

If you don't want to be overrun with fry I would recommend lots of hiding places and they will be okay and you won't get too many too fast. Fry are very exciting and welcome to the website!

I used some cross stitch mesh from walmart as a divder, cost around 2.00 and can cut to fit, was in craft section, I sectioned off part of the tank and the fry would swim through the holes to safety,

I used some cross stitch mesh from walmart as a divder, cost around 2.00 and can cut to fit, was in craft section, I sectioned off part of the tank and the fry would swim through the holes to safety,

how did you attach it?

Edited by MrsFard