Fw Crabs?

jamesbarr

Hey all,

have recently thought it would be fun to find some aquatic crabs to put in my 36gal.

So, whats your favourites? Your recommendations?

Ive liked them since I went to the best western on the south side of edmonton to clear their nasty FW tank, and got told of their crab somehow getting out and terrorizing patrons....crabs are awesome haha

I'm in a similar position however it now looks like I'll setup a crab tank in the summer. Pisces here in Calgary has from memory a half dozen or so different kinds as well as crayfish.

Those vampire crabs look kinda funky so maybe that.

Edited by ckmullin

...I found dozens of crab exoskeletons along the shore of the North Saskatchewan river in Edmonton. I was under the impression that there was no freshwater crabs in Alberta...

dug this up

http://www.ec.gc.ca/..._tabEnvEauDouce

"Canada has no native freshwater crab species"

did it look like this?

http://www.google.co...iw=1919&bih=966

if the same, it's a rather interesting development.

Edited by ckmullin

Hey all,

have recently thought it would be fun to find some aquatic crabs to put in my 36gal.

So, whats your favourites? Your recommendations?

Ive liked them since I went to the best western on the south side of edmonton to clear their nasty FW tank, and got told of their crab somehow getting out and terrorizing patrons....crabs are awesome haha

Kinda feel bad for this topic post. Perhaps if others like to offer their recommendations to fw crabs they have bought or seen for sale.

For this crab mystery perhaps we can start a new topic about this. I'm very curious to see what happens.

feel free to do what you think mullin. I dont know. So far i think that Im into the vampire crabs, just have to find them and get to the city to buy....

had gone again to pieces and those vampire crabs look to be the ticket for me as well. Son too! lol

2db2oo7.jpg

• 2 months later...

There is only on kind of crab that lives in fresh water and they only grow to bout 1-2 cm, vampire and such are brackish, and there are many saltwater species.

But in the end if you put a vampire in fresh water your just slowly killing it.

That's why I now own a saltwater tank.

Vampire crabs "Geosesarma" species are more of a terrestrial species and should be kept like dart frogs in vivaria. They are definitely not brackish water crabs and should be kept in an aquarium with more land than water. If you can find CB ones they seem to do better than WC. The water feature only needs to be an inch or two deep. Some care sheets say you may add a pinch of marine salt/liter to help the frogs with moulting (this wouldn't be considered brackish in my books), but when I kept them I never did and they did fine. Mine ate fruit flies and flake fish food. There are a number of care sheets on the net..