Electric Blue Ram Fry

dan11

This is quite an interesting story. About 3 weeks ago, I brought a bunch (about 40) guppies into one of the calgary petland locations. I usually trade them for a bit of credit. I got $36. I was looking around, trying to frigure out what to take, when I noticed a gorgeous tank full of electric blue rams. Knowing petland, I expected them to be around $40 each. To my surprise, the tank said $15/each. I am pretty good at sexing rams, and easily picked a pair. I brought them home, and got a fair sized spawn about 4 days later. Only about 20 of 100 eggs went bad, and I had a good hatch. Unfortunatly, 2 days later, the male from my pair died. I know that Petland has a 30 day guarantee, so I phoned the lady that I did the swap with. Here's the funny part, she said that there had been a pricing mistake, and that the rams were supposed to be $50 each, and thats what they had been selling them at since the day after I got mine. Needless to say, she wouldn't give me another one. I wasn't too worried, as now, 2 weeks later, I have about 40 strong fry. Have not really lost any since the first couple of days, *knock on wood* lol. They are about as big as newly born guppy fry now. They are in a clean 10 gallon growing out tank. I may get some pics of the fry. The female is hard to get pics of, as she is in a 135 planted community, and hides fairly well when I pull out the camera, but I'll try. Has anybody else ever bred this variety? Do they grow as fast as regular rams? Thanks!

Dan

That's to bad about losing the male -- I also wonder if they breed true. I just took a look at some wholesale lists that have electric blue rams available and I am shocked at the 50 dollar price tag, even at 15 dollars they would already be doing quite well.

Ya, I was quite surprised, but considering that they charge nearly 4 dollars a piece for neon tetras, it wasn't a big shock. I have also heard that they breed true. After doing some research last night, I'm honestly not sure if they've been bred in Canada before. No matter what, though, its been exciting. They seem to be doing quite well...

Got a video of mom in my community tank, along with my apistogramma eunotus fry from another thread/video, and my apistogramma cacatuoides pair. Another video is just uploading, of the fry, and my new pair of regular blue rams, which are huge! I'll add another link in about 30 minutes or so...

Parents -

Fry + new pair -

Edited by dan11

Alright, I got a nice batch of eggs from my new pair that was in the video. They laid them on the inside of a cave last night, at about 7 p.m. I am giving them a shot at parent raising, and they are in my 25 gallon which had guppy fry in the video. I switched the guppies, and the rams, so that the rams could have light to raise their eggs in. The eggs were still there this morning, and they look like good parents, so I'm hoping for a good hatch.

Thanks. The rams ate their eggs, but I still have 35 - 40 EBR's growing strong. They are really doing well, and are begining to get the shape of their parents! I've also noticed ventrals on most of them, which is good too!

• 3 weeks later...

After counting, and looking at my EBR's, I have about exactly 50! Pretty stoked about these guys! I also have about 200 - 250 regular german blue ram fry from the pair I showed in the video. They went free swimming about 5 days ago, and I got another spawn from the parents yesterday. They are in the 25 by themselves still, so I think that they might raise the eggs. Hopefully they don't eat them, but not a big deal if they do. This will probably be the last spawn of fish I take until after July. I am going on vacation, and hate leaving young fry. Ok, I might be tempted into keeping 1 batch of angels, cause they grow faster than my rams... lol.