Albino Fryeri.

freshmike

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I think it may be time to start documenting, because I have been line breeding my fryeri since I have owned cichlids. Also, I have never owned an albino aulonocara that lived past 3 days except for one female that I gave away before I moved...a 2.5" female that never spawned (in my mbuna tank) I believe fishboy has her now. This is the 4th generation of fryeri that I own. :D

I know someone that owned a breeding colony of what he felt was pure albino S. fryeri for approx 5 years, and several thousand fry later, what surfaced, but a couple of normal Aulonocara fry. Seeing as he hadn't owned any Aulonocara for many years, that kind of ruled out the fry coming from anything in his tanks.

That was the end of his 'line' right there & then .........

Genetics are a funny thing, and although anything is possible, the chances of getting albino fry from 'pure' S. fryeri are extremely remote. When someone who has been breeding S. fryeri on a massive commercial scale, informs me that not a single albino in that species has surfaced in his ponds in 30 years, I tend to rule out the odd 'pure' strain story that I hear from the average hobbyist. Just to give you an idea of ths size of this breeders set up, and the numbers involved, he maintains ...... 120 ponds (approximately 30,000 gal. each), 1500 concrete vats (250gal.-500gal. each) and 1,000 40 gal. fry aquariums on 2 five acre farms.

The vast majority of albino Africans are in fact hybrids, this is a simple fact, with the majority of them coming out of Florida over the past 15 years.

Edited by RD.

BTW - here's the exact quote from the person who had the albino S. fryeri breeding group.

Unfortunately, logic isn't always at play when it comes to genetics. Throwbacks do not necessarily come out with every spawn, or even every generation. There has been ZERO known OB's from a Malawian Haplochromis or Aulonocara.

Case and point. About 12 years ago, I was breeding some Scieanochromis freyeri, and a very nice strain I might add. I had an albino group, and a regular group that were Albino Siblings.

The Albino group threw 100% Albino "freyeri". The Regular group had one female that would throw about 25% albino, and the rest regular, with the other females all throwing regular fry. I have VHS video of these fish, and they were some of the nicest looking freyeri you have ever seen.

I bred these fish for four years, and likely sold several thousand fry. One spawn, one of the fish looked a little odd.... stripes. Once it was to 3/4", there was no mistaking that it looked like a pure little Auloncara fry..... strange thing, I hadn't kept any Aulonocara in about five years at that point. So, I had an Aulonocara baby from my prized "freyeri"... what a downer A couple of months later, the albino "freyeri" through a normal coloured "Aulonocara".

In four years, and some 2500-3000 fry, I had TWO "Aulonocara"... that was the end of that strain for me right there... fry got fed off to some Champsochromis, and the adults were never stripped again.

Thanks for your comments and the quoted article RD. :) I definitely won't be able to produce them at such a scale as that, although I wish I could. :P

P.S. You actually know this guy, or know "of" him? Just 'cause I would think if you knew of a place like that you would be able to get some pretty good deals on fish for the people around here. :P