Culling Shrimp?

EowynJane

I've read a few times about people culling the colourless RCS and I was wondering what would be the best/most humane way to do it? It was even suggested by someone to use them as feeders for the puffers and betta. :( I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Edited by EowynJane

Honestly, I use them as treats for my GBR and bettas, or when I turn out the lights in my big tank, I toss them in there, sort of a survival of the smartest as I have live plants and tons of hidey holes, and currently have 3 in there that have lasted 3 days so far, so a kind of whatever colony that isnt going to bring down your color grade, dont know if it helps but just an idea

If you don't like the idea of using them as feeders (what I see as Nature's way), then you could just put them in a margarine container or similar and freeze them. Being cold blooded, the shrimp will enter a state of dormancy before they freeze to death.

If you don't like the idea of using them as feeders (what I see as Nature's way), then you could just put them in a margarine container or similar and freeze them. Being cold blooded, the shrimp will enter a state of dormancy before they freeze to death.

This works well,if you want to be more humane.

Put a couple drops of clove oil in the margarine container,that will sedate them,then freeze them.

They won't feel a thing

I'm in Edmonton, if someone wants some clear males they can have them. I'm just noticing that there are a lot of clearish ones and not so many of the really red ones anymore. Originally I was selling a mixture of female and male. I think I'd like to introduce some new blood but want to reduce the population a bit first though. I also want to get back into the crystals.

I've always thought of it as the cycle of life when I fed ramshorn snails to my puffers... but I don't like snails so that's easier!