Hob Vs Canister

heff

I've done a little research on the topic and the internets tell me the following:

- media customization - Canister > HOB

- media volume - Canister > HOB

- noise - HOB > Canister

I currently run only bio-media and some sponge in my HOB filter. My understanding is that I could do the exact same in a canister, except that I can load the heck out of it with bio-media. Am I missing anything? How about circulation? I know nothing about splash bars or how these things would be set up.

I've had good luck with HOBs in the past (5 and 10 gallons) but now I'm into a 20 and want to ensure that I'm doing it "right" by my future fish and it sounds like canister is the way to go.

Lastly, if anyone could suggest a canister that's of good value, it'd be appreciated. Or even a good HOB if it comes to that because the one that came with my tank kinda sucks.

Thanks for your input!

Hugh

I have one of each running in my 70G piranha tank.. Turns the water over allloooot. Personally I think the canister is more quiet, it is rated for less than my HOB but nevertheless the HOB in any case causes the waterfall or dribbling sound which I find to be the loud part. I have in my community tank the Eheim 2215 I believe and could not be happier. Setup is a bit more difficult than regular old HOB with cartridge inserts but I think it's worth it.

I only run biomedia in most of my filters - they just need a good cleaning every once in a while. About once a month I'll do a WC by back washing my canister - suck water thru the output and drain it via the input - its the easiest way I've found to clean the canister without removing all the media. The Eheim Classic filters are best suited for this method, IME.

Another plus for canisters is that if the power goes out they will fire right up when it is restored. I lost a group of L-199 plecos to a aquaclear HOB filter that had not started back up while away on holidays. About an inch or so of water had evaporated out, and when the power came back on it couldn't get going again. :(

I currently use canisters on my tanks 20g and over, but I have also used HOBs with no problems.

I tend to like canisters for more power and flow. The canisters have more room for the good bacteria to live undisturbed (a big consideration for heavily stocked tanks). The reason I went with canisters on my larger tanks is because when I put the filter sponges it gives me really clear water. I have used HOBs without problems, especially on tanks 20g and under.

I have used a Rena Xp3 for almost 10 years with no problems, I also have a Rena Xp1 on a 20g (chose Rena just because I already had the sponges for the Xp3 - would love to try a Eheim one day). I have 3 other tanks - 1 with a hob, 1 with a small air driven in-tank filter, and 1 tank with a sponge filter. I have used sumps and overflows as well.

So it really just depends on what you are doing and what you want. (and if you have room for the canister to sit below the tank - this was always my limitation for most cases)

edit: if you have a planted tank with Co2, a canister with the flow bar pointed away form the surface is an excellent way to go.

Edited by Crystal

Wow, lots of feedback.

I'm a little concerned with splashing causing scale to accumulate and etch the glass panel between the light fixture and water, as well as extra evaporation. I don't plan on doing CO2 just yet but I know that I don't want the extra surface agitation. I am looking for simplicity so a filter that would allow me to crack it open to get at the media without having to drain the lines and such is a big deal.

This should give me enough to make a choice of what I want to get. Thanks everyone!

I absolutely love my ehiem pro 3. it is SILENT, the spary bar is adjustable to do anything you want it to do (or dont want) it is a snap to restart after cleaning it out, it is powerfull, it is massive, did i mention it is SILENT? i even leave it on during 75% water changes! never has a problem maintaining flow. only thing, if it does get some air in the system it "farts" until it is all sent thru the discharge. lol.

your last post mentioned simplicity when maintianing the filter. Well, in the pro3 simply close the master valve, pop the intake/output hose adapter off the canister. no spill, no drips, no break in syphon. Do the maint to the filter, pop the adapter back into the canister, open the master valve. Done. fantastic!

I like canisters and I like to oversize them too. I run an Eheim 2076 Pro 3e on a 30 gallon and I have 2 - 40 gallon tanks with 2075 Pro 3 canisters.

I absolutely love my ehiem pro 3. it is SILENT, the spary bar is adjustable to do anything you want it to do (or dont want) it is a snap to restart after cleaning it out, it is powerfull, it is massive, did i mention it is SILENT?

I have an Eheim 2262 that I was going to use on a stock tank; now it is massive, pretty much a 5 gallon pail with a pump on it.

Ron